Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choice of Pizza Stone

Options
pattont
pattont Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a large BGE and have been crazy about it ever since. I bought the plate setter tonight as well as the 14" pizza stone from BGE. My plan was to call a local pizza shop and have them sell me a non cooked pizza. Well, my favorite pizza is a 16" pizza which would overlap the BGE stone. So... I went and bought a 16" stone from Cook's Corner in Knoxville, TN. The stone looks well made, but I guess my main concern is that my grill is 18"s and this stone comes really close to the edge. Should that matter? I live in Johnson City and am just visiting my parents in Knoxville, but I don't want to keep both stones.

Does anyone else have a 16" stone in their large BGE? If you do how do you cook your pizzas on it.

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I use a 16" on my Lg all the time. The set up is Platesetter legs up then the grid and a BGE raised grid and then the stone. The only reason I use the raised grid is for the ease of getting the pizza on and off the Egg. Sorry no pics of that set up. If you use that set up you may need to pull the thermometer out a little it will hit the pie but the set up works great. Here is where I got my 16 and 21 in stones. Same size material and thickness as the BGE stones.
    http://www.axner.com/axner/equipment/cordierite-kiln-shelves.php
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    I also use a 16" on mine, actually a 15.75". I go plate setter, legs down sitting on top of the grid. Some 1" copper couplings on top of the plate setter and then the stone resting on the couplings. Gets the stone up almost like, no exactly like a rasied grid. In all fairness, I make mostly tortizzas, I have two young girls who absolutely love the concept of the personal pizza. When I make regular pizza, I use the same exact set up. Works very, very well for me.

Hope this helps.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Legs up, legs down...I'm thinking they will both get a nice pie cooked perfect. Even if it isn't round :laugh:
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Pizza's become a regular event on our egg. we have a 16" stone and no issues, although the gasket suffered until I started raising the stone a bit toward the dome. Raising the stone above the gasket has two benefits (at least!). 1) it helps save the gasket and 2) the pizza cooks on top faster. We put in the plate setter legs down, then a few small scrap pieces of kitchen counter granite (at least 1" think) then the stone on top of that.
    Mamaroneck