Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question on Wokking the Egg

Options
emt_24
emt_24 Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a novice stir-fryer. I'm going to attempt to wok the egg tonight. When I've done it in the past on our electric stove it seems that when I add the meat all the liquid cooks out of it, making it tough. Any recommendations to keep this from happening or is it normal for some liquid to cook out of the meat? I'm guessing I'm just not able to get the wok hot enough on the stove to stir fry efficiently.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,744
    Options
    bring the egg up to about 700, open the dome and close the bottom vent. it is now hot enough to add the wok. add some oil and weight til its hot enough, add the meat to the sides not touching and dont flip them til they are cooked on the bottom, adding too much to quickly and/or flipping too soon will start to get the water out and start steaming, dont flip too soon.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    I've always cooked the meat in the oil that gathers at the bottom while continually stirring it. Thx, I'll give it a try.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    fishlessman is right you get much better taste out of woked food if you stir less often and let the mailard realction do it's voodoo. You are also right, to cold in the Wok leads to steaming the meat and toughens it.

So to make it short, hot wok and stir less.

Enjoy

Doug