Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry, another quick Brisket question

Options
NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did a brisket for the first time last night.....everything went well....maintained a solid temp the entire night, between 200 and 250.....looks fantastic and smells even better!!

The only problem I have is that I was way off on the cooking time as it hit 205 around 8:30 am! :-\ Oopsss.

I have it wrapped in foil and a towel, sitting in the cooler now. I'm just not sure how long it can safely sit in the cooler like this....given that we probably won't eat until around 2 or 3.....

Any advice?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Probably a little too long to hold it in my opinion. You are talking 6-7 hours.

The safe route here is to chill it whole and re-heat to serve later. Slice after re-heating.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    4-5 hours is pushing it. You might also push your thermometer into the meat just to monitor it. I think so wrap them in foil and put in the oven at 200 for an hour or so.

I've been watching and waiting for some of the more experienced to chime in also. Good luck.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Thanks Rod. I thought that was way too long also, but was unsure if he could do it.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Thanks....I was afraid this would be too long.

Any suggestions on chilling it?? Just let it sit out of the foil and get to room temp before putting it in the fridge??
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Or do I keep it in the foil and put it in the oven at 170-200 until its time to eat?? Just read a couple of different things so I'm not sure now.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Or do I keep it in the foil and put it in the oven at 170-200 until its time to eat?? Just read a couple of different things so I'm not sure now.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Let it cool some. I wouldn't put a 200 degree piece of meat in foil in the refrig right away. It is kind of a feel with the hand type of thing I'd think. You don't want it real cool to the touch but you also don't want to warm up everything in the fridge.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    If I go the fridge route...whats the best way to re-heat.....oven before slicing??

Is it a good option to keep it in the oven at 170 until its time to eat? I went ahead and put it in the oven now with a thermometer in it and it is at 145 now.

Thanks again for all your help.
  • Fidel
    Options
    An important distinction needs to be made here - the internal temp of the meat means NOTHING in this situation.

Monitor the ambient temp of your storage device (cooler, etc.) and/or the surface temp of the meat. The concern is that bacteria are growing on the outside, much more so than on the inside, of the meat.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    So should I just scrap it?

Are you suggesting to cool it instead of letting it sit in the oven at 170?
  • Fidel
    Options
    Don't scrap it.

I've never held a brisket in an oven, so I can't tell you if that is a good idea or not. My gut tells me you risk drying it out. If you wrap it with any liquid then you run the risk of losing the bark and washing some of the flavor.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Oh well....maybe I'll try and eat it for lunch around noon (about an hour from now) and make hamburgers later this afternoon.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Why not have leftover brisket sandwiches for dinner? There's a win-win situation for ya.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Sounds good.

I guess I'm just not clear on this "danger zone" thing.

If I take it out of the oven now....and cut it....is it okay to put in the fridge when still warm?
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Okay.....pulled it out of the oven and sliced it......It is absolutely delicious!!

I'm guessing it will be safe to cover and refrigerate until later this afternoon when it is time to heat. Will reheat on the egg or in the oven guess.

Maybe I wont' have to do hamburgers after-all!!
  • TXTriker
    Options
    NoleC5

I'm glad you got some good advice there from Fidel. One of our more experienced eggers. I had to leave and do some other things so I was away from the computer but Fidel, as always, guided you where I would have been unable.

Do come back in and join us.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Just thought I give a quick update.....

Ended up leaving the brisket in the oven for about an hour at 175.....internal temp of 155. Looked like lunch/ dinner was going to be later in the day so I pulled from the oven and sliced, let set for 20 mins or so and then put in the fridge. Ended up leaving the egg at about 220 and put the tray back in the egg for about 30 mins to reheat....turned out awesoe!!! Tganks for everyones help today!