Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskets are On!!!

Options
SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put on 18#s of brisket. Sorry for the crappy pic, took it from my Blackberry.

One with good ol Dizzy Dust and one with Red Eye Express. The digiQ II has the temp locked on 215*. I'll sleep well tonight. B)

IMG00023.jpg

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Chris, good luck with the cook. Let us know how the DigiQ II works. Is it easy to use?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You don't have a q2???

GG
  • RVH
    Options
    Nope. Whod'a thunk?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Completely surprises me, especially with all the places you cook. Glad there wasn't a bet on that, I would have lost big time. I might even have bet my crappy gun on it.

The q2 is extremely easy to use. The only problem I have ever had with it is having the blower vent open too wide and over shot the pit temperature.

The Maverick ET-73 works well for monitoring and alarms.

GG
  • RVH
    Options
    Kent, I've got the ET-73 and it works very well. But so far for the overnight stuff I just kind of camp out with the egg. The temp never changes but I wouldn't get any sleep anyway. I see too many of the "My fire is out and all my meat is at 107°! Will I die if I eat it?" comments. From what you all say about the QII it sounds like I could walk off AND have peace of mind. I wonder how many times tonight, this being his first use, Chris gets up to peak at his new toy and make sure everythingis all right.
    Oh, and I'm sure we can find something on which to bet for your "crappy" gun. :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't worry so much about loosing a piece of meat, what really erks me is not having the cook available to eat if something does happen.

I have had the fire go out with the q2. I had a center burn in the lump. The q2 was squawking, fire out and the meat at 78°. It was like someone put a large funnel in the lump from the top of the fire ring down to the fire grate. A vertical burn. I tossed that piece of meat. From that cook on I used the ET-73 along with the q2 and or the stoker.

:laugh: :laugh: I sat out with the egg watching the q2, temps didn't change much. I just watched the start, the red led and watch for how often and how long the blower cycled.

I am betting Chris will wake up a time or too, maybe even stare at the cook through the night.

I don't use the q2 or stoker as much as I thought I would when I first got them.

However, if the cook is much longer than 3 or 4 hours or an overnight, I always use one or the other. Even if I am around the egg I don't have to worry about checking up on the cook.

If I am using the Dutch Oven the q2 is fantastic to keep the food at a nice simmer. I clip the pit probe on the bail.

If I didn't have one, I would buy one it is worth the purchase.

My 'crappy gun' you really saved me brother. I wasn't far from putting up locally and hoping for $300 - $350. I probably would have put something like bring cash. If there wasn't any interest maybe letting it go for less.

GG
  • SoonerChris
    SoonerChris Posts: 302
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    I don't worry so much about loosing a piece of meat, what really erks me is not having the cook available to eat if something does happen.

I have had the fire go out with the q2. I had a center burn in the lump. The q2 was squawking, fire out and the meat at 78°. It was like someone put a large funnel in the lump from the top of the fire ring down to the fire grate. A vertical burn. I tossed that piece of meat. From that cook on I used the ET-73 along with the q2 and or the stoker.

:laugh: :laugh: I sat out with the egg watching the q2, temps didn't change much. I just watched the start, the red led and watch for how often and how long the blower cycled.

I am betting Chris will wake up a time or too, maybe even stare at the cook through the night.

I don't use the q2 or stoker as much as I thought I would when I first got them.

However, if the cook is much longer than 3 or 4 hours or an overnight, I always use one or the other. Even if I am around the egg I don't have to worry about checking up on the cook.

If I am using the Dutch Oven the q2 is fantastic to keep the food at a nice simmer. I clip the pit probe on the bail.

If I didn't have one, I would buy one it is worth the purchase.

My 'crappy gun' you really saved me brother. I wasn't far from putting up locally and hoping for $300 - $350. I probably would have put something like bring cash. If there wasn't any interest maybe letting it go for less.

GG

@RVH, Vance, it's not my first with the q2. Did a couple of chickens this week to test her out.

@Grandpa. Three vodka and cranberry will make even a grown man sleep like a baby from what I understand. ;)

Although I might wake up a time or two. I have cooked a brisket before with the q2 and it seemed like I was up all night. :silly:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I seem to wake up now and again if even just to look at the Maverick.

Looking forward to hearing about the results.

Kent