Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potato question

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen multiple entries where people show their cooks for full meals and refer to "smashed potatoes" and things similar, however I do not see any recipes. Does anyone have suggestons as to how to prepare large baked potatoes on the egg for smashing?

Comments

• Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    those definitely look good, but I am looking for recipes using indirect on the egg where the potato is placed on the grate. I;ve seen some pics and was wondering about temp, time, any other details, etc...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    boil them, refridgerate them, smash them, oil them, season them, grill them. on camping trips i make up a big bag of boiled new potaoes, smash when needed, season flour and deep fry to go along with the fish, or just pan fry as hash potaoes B) . pretty simple to make enough for a few days.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Adding this to my "to do" list
  • Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    I learned how to make a perfect baked potato on Good Eats with alton brown. Basically what I do is I take a good size spud and murder it with a fork, literally stabbing it all over and being careful to watch my fingers as its a good stress reliever! After that I put it in a bowl and pour over a little vegetable oil and coat it then put a good amount of salt all over it. My basic rule of thumb for cooking on the egg is indirect with the legs up and grate on at about 450 degrees for around an hour. YOu may need a little more time for extra large potatoes but just feel it and see if it has softened up. From there you can do whatever you want with the potato. I have made twice baked potatoes with it, sliced it up and made mashed potatos and my wife even made a delicious baked potato soup out if it. YOu can use the pioneer woman recipe above but i lieu of boiling just cook on the egg before smashing. This is a really good way to cook a potato and I have even started adding some hickory chunks to the fire to add a nice smoke flavor to the potato skin. Your options are endless! Hope this helps