Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babybacks

Options
BigGreenDawg
BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:)Ribs004.jpg

Ribs009.jpg

Ribs010.jpg
It never fails, everytime I do ribs they come out a little different and even though I wasn't as happy they they weren't fall off the bone, my wife and mother in law said they were the best yet. Only took 3hr 20 min from putting them on to pulling them as I couldn't seem to get the egg to slow down after the first hour and a half at 250* it crept up to 275 dome and wanted to stay there. They came out fine but maybe I shouldn't fill the fire box all the way to just over the fire :blush: ring next time.

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    If the wife and definitely the M-I-L thought they were great, I'm not sure where you can go from there!?! :ohmy: :woohoo:
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    Truer words have never been spoken Mississippi. :laugh:
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Those look awesome. Hope you enjoyed them.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Mark....love those babies.....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Great looking ribs Mark, and thanks for the tease with the bones! Lately my egg has been taking forever to heat up. Will describe the setup and symptoms another time and seek help.
    canuckland
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    They may have gone a little longer, I'd check the thermometer for correction, ribs look like they were at a lower temp and not at 275. Why do you think they were done after 3-1/3 hours?
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    I was so impressed with the way the cook started out as I shut the dome right after getting the coals going and let them go for about 30-40minutes while prepping the ribs. The temp was pegged at 250 and continued to stay there until about 90-100 minutes into it. Hey I just came up with another reason to get a guru :woohoo:

I was wondering if the 105* heat index had anything to do with it.
  • BigGreenDawg
    Options
    tach18,
    I thought they were done after checking them with the Thermopen and they were 200+ all over as well as the shrinkage on the bones and beginning to look a little dry(could have been just paranoid)In the past I have not checked them with the pen but just cooked to time even though today I felt like I was right in pulling them; the long slab in the middle could have gone a little longer but the end slabs I thought were ready. I'll always take contructive criticism-what do you see? Not enough shrinkage?

I am planning on getting a new dome gauge anyway as the red has faded from my temp hand from the sun; I am keeping the egg in the shade now. Maybe that could be it. I will do a boiling water calibration tommorrow night and see what I come up with.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    They just did looked done, most times I would see some slight charring on the ends. Another way to tell is if you picked them up from the middle of the rack and they fold down to the point of breaking, also if they tasted more like pork chops then flaky ribs.