Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Green Heaven

Options
legal egg
legal egg Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a newbie. Jut got my first Big Green Egg last week for my combined birthday/Father's Day/Christmas present. And I absolutely love it. Already cooked up a couple great meals - salmon and pork tenderloin. And salmon and pork tenderloin never tasted better. My wife was a skeptic at first (we have four other grills, my egg cost $1K), but she's a believer now too. Anyway, I'm really excited about my egg, and from just skimming through this forum, I'm excited about being a part of the egg community as well.

So I do have a few newbie questions. Sorry if they've been asked before. I'm sure they have. 1) Is there still a need to keep the temp down the first handful of cooks, and if so, what's the number? I got my egg up to 650 my first cook (not on purpose) before taking it back down to 450, and maybe up to 550 the second cook before taking it down to 400. No gasket damage as far as I can see. 2) Is there any trick to reusing the lump charcoal? Worked pretty good my second cook but only after I lit the coals on the sides. 3) I'm already getting rust spots or some sorta discoloration on my metal top. Any advice on how to handle this?

And lastly, 4) any good ideas/recipes for my next cook?

Thanks,

Jack
Prairie Village, Kansas

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Just want to say "hi" and welcome to the forum and the egg family. Be sure to try and make it to an eggfest sometime, it's something you must experience.
    As for your questions, I'm sure one of the experts will be answering all of your questions.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Congratulations on the new egg you're going to love it. I completely recommend Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken as a no fail, great tasting cook.

As for reusing lunp I do it all the time, I just stir it around to make sure the ashes aren't plugging the grate, then mix some new lump in to get it up to the top of the fire box, putting some larger pices in the bottom and away I go. Lights fine.

Doug
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When you're done cooking, put the daisy on the grid and the ceramic cap on top. This does two things. It keeps the daisy clean and it gives a more positive air shut off for saving the left over coals. Welcome to the club. -RP
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    Glad to see other Jayhawk fans on the forum, welcome. Don't worry about the rust on the spinwheel, that thing will get looking nice and aged after a few long smokes, gives it character.

I don't think it matters if you get it hot for the first couple of cooks, I did and mine is fine. Now about the gasket, you will here two sides to this story, personally I don't know how important the gasket is as mine is completely burned up and no smoke escapes during smoking and I am just careful when I shut the lid. But everyone is different.

Spatchcock chicken is really good, how about a good old fashion TRex Steak (never had a bad steak on the egg).

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    Options
    Welcome! I know you will enjoy your new egg. I am hoping to get my 2nd LBGE for Father's Day. Post pix of what you cookin'. We like to see pix on this forum. Never be afraid to ask for advice. There's always someone here who can answer your question.

Happy eggin'
  • legal egg
    legal egg Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, and all the warm welcomes. Can't wait to fire up the egg again this weekend. And rock chalk is right!