Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

change of plan - what to do with my butt?

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started an 8.25 lb. Boston butt at 5 pm with a plan to remove it at around 9 am, foil, then place in dry cooler. I was going to pull it on the boat out on the lake, but our hosts just informed us that they have already made lunch plans for tomorrow and they would like to have the pulled pork for dinner tomorrow night. I have to leave the house at 11 a.m. tomorrow. What should I do with the butt? Should I remove it from the Egg, pull the meat, then refrigerate and reheat at dinner time? If so then what's the best way to reheat pulled pork? I remember reading something about Coke or Dr. Pepper. Or should I put the unpulled butt directly into the fridge and pull later?

Thanks for the last minute help!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Pull it,refridgerate,reheat later.Several ways to accomplish that.200-250 in the oven,or place in a FREEZER ziploc bag and place in boiling water for several minutes,the eaters will never know the difference. ;)PP is Very forgiving. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Mojo,

Some recommend a coke classic (I think 12 oz can per 2-3 lb meat), but at 240 calories per can, I decided to just use water and apple juice. Less calories added to the pork and rewarms nicely.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one method by RRP.

How to, Reheat Pulled Pork

I happen to prefer the Coca-Cola method as I have had great success with that method - but first thing you need to know is the Coke DOES NOT flavor it nor change the taste! Why it works I'm not real sure but it eliminates that lousy warmed over taste IMHO and really works wonders on beef as well. Quantity wise I prefer one 12 oz can of real Coke, - no diet stuff, nor any flavored Coke either and NO!, pepsi will not work so please don't try to substitute. I find one can for two to four pounds of pulled pork is fine when done in a crock pot at low temp and stirred from time to time. Even warmed in a pan on the stove works but in that case stir often and keep it low! The real secret though is not to tell your guests - it's weird, but people wrinkle up their noses at the Coke idea since they think it will be sweet or something - but it isn't, nor is there even any color left, but if they don't know the secret all they do is applaud you for the wonderful pulled pork!

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2007/05/17
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! The butt is at 170 so I heated the dome temp up to 300 since I have to leave here in 1.5 hrs. I hope it'll be cooked by then. Maybe I should crank'er up to 350 or 400?