Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE measurements +

Geoduck
Geoduck Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After several years of fond memories of a sample tasting at a BGE demo I am getting a small... There isn't one at the dealer so I'd like some help with the height measurements. From bottom to opening rim and bottom to top of dome. I live in a basement apt and want to place it on the steps going up to ground level. Thought I'd raise the level of one step to meet the one above it with bricks and then top off with fire brick. Is there anything I should do to protect the concrete steps from the heat of the BGE? How far from the side wall should the BGE be? The height of the BGE will determine just which step I raise. There isn't much room between the bottom step and the patio door, hence the steps idea.

Thanks for all ideas - I've enjoyed reading all things BGE on the forum.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Welcome! Hope you are doing this "OUTSIDE" the building due to carbon monoxide fumes.
  • Geoduck
    YES OUTSIDE. I may be crazy but I'm not stupid :)
  • I don't have a small that I can measure, but I did find some meaurements on the internet. Unfortunately, I can't find the measurement from the bottom to the opening of the lid. The total height is 22" and the diameter is 13. Width is 16 and it weighs 65 pounds.
    If the step is thick enough it probably won't crack from the heat, but will very likely get discolored. I would at least use the green feet to allow some airflow, and probably use a paver stone as well. I am not sure what a safe distance is from the house. I would point the front of the egg away from the house and anything else combustible because of possible hot embers coming out of the bottom vent.
  • Geoduck
    THANKS that is helpful. The steps are concrete and so are the sides. Should be very fire proof.
  • Geoduck
    THANKS that is helpful. The steps are concrete and so are the sides. Should be very fire proof.