Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*PING* Hitch

Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hitch,
I have seen the system you use to haul your small BGE. Do you leave the egg in the hitch-hauler setup while traveling down the road? I have a similar setup for my medium and I put it in the back of my truck while driving and then put it on the hitch-hauler while cooking. Would like to leave out while traveling. Do you strap it down or have a top built to go over it? Thanks for the advice in advance,
Mark

Comments

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Actually, I secure the whole Small in like pictured below. I don't trust my driving, the roads, or other people while parked to keep my small safe. I don't think that the egg would come out while driving, but the fire box and ring would rattle much more in the back than in the back seat. I also like to talk to her while I drive. The small is pretty easy for me to handle by myself so moving it around doesn't bother me. The medium would be a different story. I would, however, use some stiff foam spacers between fire box, ring, and top and bottom if I were to travel with it on the back. I have done this before with competition eggs in a trailer, and it worked out fine. I would pay up to get good straps if I kept it on the back, and would potentially run a chain with lock on it from chimney out the bottom vent and attach it to the frame of the truck in some way to prevent theft. I think it would look awesome driving down the road with it on the back. I don't think I would do any kind of top as it would be overkill and not real protection.

Just my thoughts...
  • Hitch
    oops...forgot this...

smallintruck.jpg

Sure is slummin compared to a ride in the old jet, but she likes me so she has decided to stay.
  • Ala-Egg
    Thanks for the help, I have a crate I keep my medium in and then put it in the back of my truck (Tahoe) while traveling. I have cut some wedges to place between egg and crate and some on the inside to keep fire ring from moving too. Just haven't convinced myself to strap to hitch-hauler while traveling.
  • Ala-Egg
    [/img]MediumEggatTalladega.jpg[img size=150][/img]
  • Hitch
    I think we are both unsettled about being the guinea pig and trying it for everyone else. I would try it with someones else's egg, but not mine.

BTW, did you try to post a pic?
  • Ala-Egg
    So true. I think the pic is on there now.
  • Hitch
    Nice setup...I love it. I have folks asking me to go camping or tailgating just cause they want the egg to come. They don't really like me :( , but the egg is a different story. You might have already seen this picture, but I love it.
    kiawah09003.jpg

Do you wish you had a little prep space? Might want to consider a fold down type side table attached to the sides under the handles. Just a suggestion, but shouldn't get in the way of carrying it, and you obviously know how to build. Love the bottle opener, but I don't use one. I still like to pop em off with my ring like I did when I was younger and stupid. I haven't learned much.
  • Ala-Egg
    I just use a 4 foot Lifetime table to prep on, just easy I guess. I have seen this picture and I like the set up. I feel the same way, I get invited as long as the egg comes too. :blink: