Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Lobster Tails

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was at fresh market after lunch today to pick up a few steaks for dinner. Came out with a couple lobster tails to go along with the steaks. Plan on grilling them but have never done it before. Looking for advice...thanks.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    D...Are these Florida (warm water) tails, or Maine?
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Hi Michelle!! I've been meaning to ask you the same question. I have a freezer full of Florida lobster and I'd like your opinion on the best way to cook them. They are smaller ones about 6-8oz. each.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I would split them fully, just a bit of salt & pepper. Grill direct, flesh side down, until meat releases from the grate. Finish shell side, and baste with butter and a squirt of lemon. These will not take long! Usually the tails are 3 oz....maybe 5 minutes total. You can throw a LITTLE bit of wood in the fire if you want a bit of smokey flavor, but not too much!!
    You can grill them whole in the shell if you want...stick a skewer inside to help keep it straight.
    I am sure you will get other ideas, too. ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I have tried this recipe and it turned out fantastic. I have a few of those Fresh Market tails in the freezer and will use this recipe again!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=567348&catid=1
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    There are only a few things I've found I can't do better on the egg. The 2 that come out ok but never better are rock shrimp and lobster tails. :( Maybe I just haven't found the right recipe.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Hi Anne!...with the Florida tails, I split only the top of the shell, down to about 1 inch shy of the fanned tail, the last joint per se.(you can use kitchen shears if you don't want to do it with a knife.) Pull the meat out through the slit, but do not take the meat entirely out of the shell! It should still be in the shell down by the fanned tail. You can open the flesh a bit (sort of butterfly from the top), remove the vein...season it, and grill flesh side down, until it realeases from the grate. Then finish shell side until flesh is white all the way through.
    If this doesn't make sense, you can send me the tails, and I will be sure to post a slideshow! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Clark...Admittedly, I am very much a 'naturalist' or 'purist', especially when it comes to my lobster! :woohoo: :whistle: You didn't find all those spices overpowered the flavor of the meat?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Michelle,

I am like you. I prefer lobster pretty much natural (except for LOTS of draw butter, of course :laugh: ).

The prep and cook technique of this appealed to me and it turned out great.

I could not find green chili powder, so I left that option out. Otherwise it is basically lime juice and a little garlic powder - the Lowry's was just a touch and in the end wasn't too strong.

Anyway, it turned out good and the "Princess" liked it - and we know, that's what really counts! :blush: :evil: :silly:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Got ya! ;)

By the way...you asked why the colored bands on my knives.... I have done that on all equipment I bring to work in my knife roll. Colleauges have a tendency to grab others knives, say... maybe to open a box or somthing... and it makes me CRAZY! And, since knives can look the same, I put the bright bands on so there was no mistaking it was my knife. (Funny thing...once I did it, eveyone else did too. (different colors of course) So, I guess it wasn't just driving me crazy!) :woohoo: :whistle:
    No worries about Bubba...we both have "our" knives...lol. His, and Hers, if you will. :laugh: ;)