Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt

Options
smoke and pig
smoke and pig Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fixing to prepare a 10 lb. one for my egg. Need idea for what to put on it and how long to cook

Comments

• Fajing
    Fajing Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm doing one right now, using the Big Time BBQ rub that you can find in the recipes on the website.

I just put my butt on the egg. No worse for the wear.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Try the Elder Ward method posted on the Naked Whiz's site ...... I'm fix'in four of them this very moment. :side: Good Luck with yours :)http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm#fire
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Use your favorite rub. I often use Tonys, Bad Byrons Butt Rub or one of the Dizzy Pig rubs. It may take 14-18 hours for that butt to cook. Figure about 1.5 hours per pound + or - at 250 degrees. Time is not important cook until internal meat temp is 190-200. Clean the Egg out real good before you start. Then with a full load of lump with the larger pieces on the bottom and let er rip.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    This LINK may help. I like to make theis rub.

All-South Barbecue Rub
    Chris Schlesinger's basic BBQ rub recipe. You can't go wrong with this one.
    Recipe From : The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger
    2 Tablespoons salt
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons ground cumin
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    2 Tablespoons black pepper -- freshly cracked
    1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
    4 Tablespoons paprika
    All you do is throw them together and mix them well.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Do what he says. Just remember a butt will hit a temp of 145-165 and stay in that range for a long time before advancing higher. We call it a plateau and each butt seems to hold at a slightly different temp for different lengths. Just don't get nervous