Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well ... am making the attempt for the first time. Have approximately a 6 lb prok roast. Butcher said it would be great after about six hours.

He told me to just salt and pepper it.

My few questions... at what temp should I set my large egg? At what temp should I pull it off? Is that all there is to it??

Not sure ... have only done steaks and a chicken. This will be my fourt time using the egg ...

Tony
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What kind of roast is it?

Pulled pork from a 6# roast in 6 hours doesn't seem feasible to me.

You want to cook at 250* dome temp until it is 195* internal temp. But if you have a lean cut then don't do it or it will be dry as styrofoam.
  • Tony S.
    It is a pork butt roast.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You should be good...but plan on 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.

Indirect heat until 195* or so, then wrap tightly in foil and rest it for 30 minutes or more before pulling.

If you don't have a commercial rub to use then look at the many recipes here. Or keep it simple with a little salt, pepper, dry mustard, paprika, and turbinado sugar.
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Pulled pork is low and slow at @ 250 but the six hours is not right. Your going to pull it out at 190-200 deg. The last one I did was a 6lb. and it took 12 hours. I have had them take up to 24 hours.

Do you have a digital thermometer to put in the meat and watch it as it as cooks?

How did you build the fire?
  • Tony S.
    Indirect ...

I do not have a platesetter yet ... should be in next week ....

Will I ruin it if I try to do it without a platesetter?

I do not have a digital theremometer ... Have the old stick it in type and then read it .. gotta get a good digital one though
  • dougemsmacks
    Well I never tried it without the plate setter so I hope someone else will chime in, but I don't think it will come out right. I don't know how direct heat will affect the outcome. I guess it is safe to assume this is the regular grid and not an extended grid?

A stick in thermometer, if it is accurate, will do o.k. not preferred but o.k.>
  • Tony S.
    You are correct, it is the normal grill. The extended grill and Pizza stone are all on order.
  • dougemsmacks
    So what is your back up plan for diner?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Personally I would wait till you can go indirect.
  • Tony S.
    I always have steak and sausage in the freezer. I just want to get started trying new things.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Calibrate your dome thermometer!!!

If you have a grid from a different cooker or you can go buy a grid for a different cooker to use.

Get some fire bricks or bricks to elevate the second grid above the BGE grid.

Put a aluminum catch pan bigger than the butt on the grid. Use the bricks or something to elevate the second grid above the drip pan and then the meat - fat side down.

Dome at 250° and make sure the egg is stabilized.

Plan on 1.5 hours per pound and don't worry about checking the meat temperature until you are about 60% through the time.

When the butt gets to 195° to 200° stick it with a fork and twist. You will know when it is tender.

For seasoning. Cover the meat with a light coat of mustard and use what you were told - or do as fidel suggested and search to make your own - sprinkle with salt then a little heavier with pepper, medium with some onion powder, light garlic powder and medium to heavy with paprika.

However, salt and pepper is just fine but use the light mustard first. You won't taste the mustard when all is said and done.

When the meat is done, wrap in foil and in towles or blanket for at least 30 minutes up to 4 or 5 hours. If you go for a longer rest then make sure you use a big warm blanket or a lot of towels.

As long as you watch the dome temperature and the done temperature you will end up with a good cook.

Play McGiver and go for it.

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    For puled pork I would 1. look up elder wards how to build a fire on the forum recipes or at the naked whiz. 2. start it at night, set the alarm for 1:00 and check your temp. and then, if the timing is right, pull it off for lunch or dinner. 3. I coat mine with yellow mustard, season it (Bad Byrons Butt Rub), cook it, and let it rest for an hour wrapped in foil before I pull it. Sauce is up to you but I am partial to John Henry's Honey BBQ. Hope it helps.