Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table care

Options
Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What, if anything, should I do to preserve a new BGE table. Can it stay out in bad weather and still last a reasonable lenght of time?
Thanks

Comments

• jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    Will you be using a cover also? That will extend the life of the table.
    Some dealers sell the unfinished tables. If i purchased one of those i would seal it to protect the table. A couple coats of marine poly would make it last a long time. You could also stain it a different color.
    jon
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    I used the Minwax Helsman Polyurthenane on mine to protect the cypress table I built. No need to stain unless you want the color. I will take about 3 coats (light sanding after the first coat) if you want a good slick finish. If you do not finish it the wood will be stained by any grease and the wood will fade.
  • Davidg5700
    Davidg5700 Posts: 32
    Options
    A recent issue of Fine Woodworking did a comparison of finishes, Helmsman being one of them. They left finished boards out in the weather in several areas of the country with differing climates and found one called Epifanes to be far superior to the others, showing minimal to no effect from the weather. It is a bit on the steep side at $45 per quart and they recommend 7 coats, but if it performs as rated, it is well worth it.

http://www.epifanes.com/home.htm
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks
    I will look into Epifanes and try to find it locally.
    Thanks
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I have put 2 coats of Sealer on the Redwood table I have made. Is there something else I can do to protect the table besides a cover ?
    Thanks.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca/
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I have put 2 coats of Sealer on the Redwood table I have made. Is there something else I can do to protect the table besides a cover ?
    Thanks.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca/
  • soulfish
    soulfish Posts: 68
    Options
    you can always put a cover over it.
    original.jpg
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    How far away from the house is the edge of the cover?
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    I have a kitchen island table on wheels that I no longer have room for in the kitchen. I want to coat it to use outside with my Eggs. Even if covered I'll need to do so, because the humidity in Florida makes everything warp.

I'm assuming that I need to coat every bit of the island including inside of the drawers. I want to make sure it lasts. Is this the best way?
  • soulfish
    soulfish Posts: 68
    Options
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    That is really nice. I cannot decide if I want to tie ours into the roof or not. She who must be obeyed wants the whole patio covered. 15x30!!!! I'm going to be one busy Egger!!! :woohoo: