Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Cookin' Fish

Options
Eggscriber
Eggscriber Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, and please help,
My buddies and I went fishing today. We caught a bunch of Striper, aka Striped Bass, in the Chesapeake Bay. There has been alot of debate among my friends on how to prepare it. I am the one with the egg, so I have been elected to prepare the filets. Most fisherman foil their fish with butter and lemon and cook it on the grill for about ten minutes. This may be good, but I might as well put it in the oven! My friend Dale, Woodbutcher advocates a skillet approach with either blackening seasoning or lemon and butter. I have cast iron skillets, cedar planks, a cast iron grill grate. How would you cook the Striper Filets?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    why not do some of each?? . ..when you do the foil thing though, leave it a little open on top so that the fish captures some of the smoke flavor, trust me, it will... .

and i know dale certainly knows his way around an egg, so if he advocates the CI skillet, that should be good too. . ..

with a mess-o-fish, try a bunch of different ways, rubs, etc, and see what you guys like the best, then go with your favorite!!

oh, and whats the address??!! :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have been on a blackening fish kick lately and really like it. If you have any alder wood chips, that is great for smoking.
    I would post a picture but someone yelled at me the other day for posting to many pics of ribs. :sick:

Mike
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    how dare someone yell at you for posting rib pics!! .. i was reading back through the weekend and saw that you posted a hotline number. ..get any calls??
  • eggfan
    eggfan Posts: 73
    Options
    I cook fish often on the egg. My favorite is making a "boat" with foil, place fish in boat with a little butter and lemon juice. I also chop onion bell pepper and jalapeno to cook with the fish, it is wonderful. Also try just fish in the boat and a small bottle of capers with juice poured on top of fish, makes a great meal served with pasta. Hope it will help.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hi Steve

Halibut.jpg

I think a lot of folks are askeered to cook fish on the grill because it stuck and fell apart last time they did it. However, direct grilling of fish is, IMO, the best way. As long as you have filets that have a little thickness to them, and you wait until the fish releases itself from the grate before you flip, it works great. Just put some rub on, and grill them at 400 degrees plus until you get a nice brown exterior. The thinner the filet, the hotter you need to cook as you want to brown the fish before it's overcooked. 120 is a good internal temp to shoot for. Good luck!!

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    About 25-30. A lot of them came from Facebook. Some were (LOL) repeats making sure they were doing everything right.
    Did gotcha day came and pass?

Mike
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    wow, dats a lotta calls!! . .good for you. ..

no, gotcha day is june 15. . .thanks for remembering though!!!!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Chris that picture looks hauntingly familiar to some amazing halibut I ate in January.......am I right? That fish was incredible topped with Hatch's tequilla sauce.

How did things go this weekend with Rod? Please post, would love to hear how it went.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve...I am absolutely 100% in agreement with Nature Boy! Direct! (Many of you had the Mahi at the Ocala After Party....that was done direct) If you want an absolute guarantee the fish won't stick, do this:
    Brush flesh side of fish with a LIGHT coating of mayonaise.
    Season with your favorite rub (DP's Raging River is great on fish! But don't over-do it )
    Grill direct, flesh side for appropriate time depending on thickness
    Flip, finish skin side down, and finish fish with a squirt of fresh lemon juice.
    Serve, and enjoy! :laugh:

Let us know how it goes!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    My Dad lives in Arizona and we fish striper pretty often ,here is a fun way to serve tasty fish.Cut in 2 inch chunks,season with favorite bbq seasoning (I use CHEF Prudohmes seafood)wrap in bacon,heat Egg to 375, bbq until bacon is half done and then sauce with favorite bbq sauce, cook til bacon is to your liking(flip often or sauce will burn.I make up to 100 pieces for my kids friends never any left.

GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD EATS

DALE
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Anne!
    That fish should be familiar since you put some of it in your mouf ;-) It really did cook up nicely, of course Mikey provided me with an awesome chunk of flesh to work with, and Hatch really cooked himself up a mean sauce.

Thanks for asking about Charlotte. It was fun cooking with Rod. Got to watch Rod Gray (he's been in the top ten teams in the country for several years) go through his entire cook, and help where I could (I can tell you that guy needs little or no help to be powerful). And I got to eat all his food.

It was truly a who's who of BBQ. I was honored to hang out with many legends of BBQ. At one time Johnny Trigg, Jerry King, Ray Lampe, Tuffy Stone, Jim "Trim" Tabb, Jack McDavid, Carolyn Wells were hanging out in our site. Tommy from Checkered Pig was right next door (I slept in his toy hauler/third wheel). I was home by the time I found out how Pellet Envy fared. Was a good weekend. We got to watch some racing too, though I only watched the dirt track races.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy LC!
    Very interesting tip about the mayo. I've read about mayo used in cooking on a few occasions over the past ten years, but never tried it. Makes sense for sure. I gotta try that soon. Thanks for the tip! If you think about it, the mayo would not just lubricate the fish, but it might at a little richness to the crust. Now I am getting hungry.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Down here on the Chesapeake Bay alot of us prefer direct grilling the Rock Fish/Striped Bass fillets as mentioned before. But sometimes we dont catch enough fish to feed the entire crew, so we cut the fillets into 1 inch chunks, batter 'em, fry 'em, and pick a dipping sauce (tarter, tabasco,buffalo ... etc). Rock Fish bites are great appetizers and have been showing up in restaurants all over the area.

rockfishbites1.jpg
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Randy! Great picture, and frying never hurt anything. Especially a fresh caught chunk of good ol' Murlin (Maryland) Rockfish! Dang them look good.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Chris....The light coating of mayo is just like a mustard slather on a brisket....After the cook, you'd never know it was there if you hadn't seen it! ;) I don't use the mayo on salmon, oily enough on its own, but for particularly flaky fish...it is magic.... ;)
    Thanks for the input!
  • reelgem
    Options
    Glad to hear the weekend went great. That must've been fun cooking with Rod. I didn't realize his team was one of the top 10 teams in the country, that's something to boast about.
  • reelgem
    Options
    LC was just talking about a light slather of mustard on a brisket. What's your take on that? Do you think it gives a better bark? What about mustard on pork butts?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    try the mayo on salmon with a little maple syrup and raging river....