Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help?? St. Louis style ribs on the Egg..

Options
O Day
O Day Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a large (18") egg. Would like to do 7 lbs. (3 racks) of St.Louis-style pork ribs. What's the best method? I just bought a daisy wheel..also have racks and plate setter. Plan to use dry rub...any suggestions, experiences,etc. Some cooks say to baste with apple juice but would'nt that interrupt the temp. curve? Would appreciate some quick feedback and thanks....Tried to search the forum but did'nt have much luck..the 'back' button goes to 'page has expired' and it's frustrating.

Comments

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hi,
    I think it depends a little on what you want the finished result to be like. The biggest issue I have had with doing ribs has to do with the meat getting scorched in the draft exposed areas. I have learned to avoid applying anything with sugar until the foil stage to avoid that burned sugar look and taste. I apply rub the night before (one without any sugar) with black pepper and yellow mustard. I put them on the next day at 225 for 3 hours, indirect and turn them once or twice to get even smoke. Then I do foil them with apple juice and bbq sauce at 225 for 2 hours. Then I cook them unfoiled at 225 one more hour with a fresh application of bbq sauce to dry out the ribs and set the sauce. That's my method... ;)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Like Eggscriber said, watch the gaps in the platesetter. I like to turn my grate by one third turn every 45 minutes or so. That way the same ends are not over the hot spots the whole time.

I don't find a need for squirting or basting my ribs in the Egg (although I do if I'm using my offset smoker).
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    o Day,

If you do a forum search for 3-1-1 or 3-1-1 ribs, you will get lots of hits. Just use your browser back button when you want to go back to your search after reading the posts.