Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Grandpas Grub

rooster
rooster Posts: 252
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to attempt my first "pork butt". I believe you cook at 250 indirect if i rember. MY questions are at what temp. do i pull and wrap.
I will be using the ET-73 for the first time also. I need to know the maximum food temp,the maximum smoker temp.and the minium smoker temp. and what to set the alerts for. I also understand that the dome temp is 20-25 higer than grid is that correct?
any advice will be appreciated. I don:t want to do this in the total "dark".

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    rooster, GG hasn't been around all day. Sent him an email this am he still hasn't responded to. Pull temp is between 190 and 200 degrees (whenever a fork inserted will twist easily) Lets just say 195 and that will be your max food temp. 275 is okay for your max grid temp and set your low grid temp at about 200. You are correct on the dome/grid temps to start this cook, but they will converge toward each other over the course of the cook. Make sure the indoor unit is reading the unit with the probes. They have to be turned on within 30 seconds of each other I think.

If you have more questions, just ask the forum and someone will be glad to help. Mark
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    You are in for some great eat'n.

Without a powered vent system it seems 250° dome is a good stable temperature for a large.

Like often stated on the forum I pull the butt somewhere between 195° and 200°. When you get close tot he pull temperature get a fork and use a small twist to see if the meat is easily ready. The fork should turn easily. If you have a none in butt the bone should be turnable. Sometimes the shape of the bone inside the butt makes it hard to turn even if the butt is done. The bone should seem loose. You will be fine trusting the temperature and fork method.

First of all make sure your dome thermometer is calibrated if you haven't done so.

Here is how I set my ET-73 when cooking butts.

Pit probe high alarm 20° above desired dome target (or grate target). Pit low alarm 195° if clipped to dome. 185° if clipped to grate (at least 2" away from the butt and out of any direct exposure to the lump.

Meat probe target 190° to 195°, that is where I begin to start watching for the butt to being done.

Place the tip of the meat probe center mass of the meat - not touching a bone and hopefully not in a fat pocket.

Where you connect the pit probe is up to you.

I have used 3 positions. Dome, just clip to the lower third of the dome thermometer - don't clip on the reading area of the dome thermometer.

I have clipped the pit probe about 2" out from the meat on the food probe.

I mostly clip the meat probe about 2" to the side of the food on the grid.

I just remembered the Maverick does not have an alligator clip on the end of the pit probe.

I went to Walmart and picked up a package of alligator clips. The alligator clips are available in the automotive section. I would think any of the mart stores would have them as well as Radio Shack, most any electronics store, Lowes or Home Depot.

If you get and install a alligator clip on the pit probe, don't crimp the alligator clip when it is on the temperature probe. If the clip is too loose, compress it with some pliers then try sliding on the probe. Repeat until there is a somewhat tight connection. Again, don't crimp the maverick probe.

If you have any further questions, jump in, most anyone can help.

Good cookin, GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    :laugh: I have been responding to your email. You will see what I mean when you see it.

Rooster - what Mark said.

Kent
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    but I've been reading Kent's latest email novel. :woohoo: :P I think someone has waaaay to much free time on their hands. :lol: Either you're the fastest typist in the world or I'm the slowest reader. Mark ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Surprised you got to the end.

Well there was a lot between the ears at that time - that doesn't happen often.

Kent