Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making my wife a wonderful dinner....

Options
EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife would like fresh aspargus and salmon for dinner. Can I get some ideas on how to prepare them. Im thinking about grilling the aspargus to give it some grill marks. But I am not so much sure what to do with the salmon. I do have some unused alder planks...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is what max said about planking some salmon

Salmon, Plank, Cedar, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

1 submerge plank in water for 4 hours. . .get egg at 425 degrees dome temp....put plank directly on the grid for about 5 minutes till you hear it 'crackling'. ..lay the salmon on the plank (in this case, coated with olive oil and dizzy pig raging river rub). .. ..cook for about 12 - 14 minutes.. . squirt some fresh lemon juice on it about halfway through. ...
    2 delicious. ..and not as smokey as you might think .. ...

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 12/08/05

i also ran across something by jake42 that might be some help also here it is

Salmon, Plank, Jake42

I've done a few planked salmons. I usually get the fire between 350 and no more than 400. A lot of people put the fish on the soaked plank and put it on the grill. I have found that soaking the plank, seasoning the plank with your favorite seasonings, then putting the plank on the grill until it starts to smoke. Then I put the seasoned fish on the plank. And yes, when I use cedar planks it does impart a nice cedar flavor to the fish. I don't get the same intensity with alder so I soak it in wine.Just my 2 cents.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Jake42

Source: BGE Forum, Jake42, 02/15/06

the asparagus is really simple i used olive oil salt and pepper and just threw them on

101_0379.jpg

if you have lemon slices it makes the salmon look really good ;)
    EGGER022508015.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    That's wonderful just what I am looking for!!!! Thanks for the advice.

Matt!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Matt. Good for you and good for your wife!
    I made this 2 nights ago, almost like Bente's recipe, only I put fresh dill on top.

P5140227.jpg

Just don't overcook it whatever you do.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    EggHead09,

Alder is perfect for salmon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    EGGcellent picture. Looks like it is frothing at the mouth.