Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretty sure my fire is out. Easy way to re-light?

Options
Riley
Riley Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
11 hours in and 3 butts on. Fire dropped to 195 now with all vents wide open and no top cap. Meat is 179.

If all vents have been open for 30 mins, is it safe to assume the fire is out? Is there any easy way to get it going again without unloading the Egg?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If you are not out of coals, poke them around a bit. With something long from the top and a hanger bent like an "L" to poke in the bottom fire grate holes. If your coals are all gone. I don't know what to tell ya. Oven?

Same thing happened to me 2 days ago and all it needed was a little poke n stir :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Like Ripnem said go thru the bottom vent with a bent coat hanger and clear the fire grate holes. If it is a large with a full load you should get 24 hrs plus at butt temps.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    throw it in the oven at 275. you will be fine finishing it that way. you don't want to light the egg with food it in.

the meat temp will continue to drop for a while even in the warm oven, before it starts to rise again. faster you get it in there, the better.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    If your out, follow Stike's advice. You'll still come out with great PP. How much lump did you start with? and what size egg?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I can just piture him with the flashlight and his head in the egg looking for lump.
  • Cory430
    Options
    :laugh:

I've been there...
  • Riley
    Riley Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate the help.

Going to the oven.

Large BGE - 17 pounds of butt - full load of lump to the fire ring, but I think I didn't have enough big pieces. You know how those Wal Mart guys do their wrestling moves on the Royal Oak bags. :lol:
  • Cory430
    Options
    I go up into the fire ring about 1/2 way or so on my large and all the way to the top of the fire ring on the medium. On low and slow I do put bigger pieces of lump on the bottom by hand. This has made a big difference for me. Once the larger pieces are in, I just dump in the rest. I don't use a digi q or anything and have no troubles sleeping through the night due to temp issues. It takes a little time to learn, but once you get it, it couldn't be easier :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Just got done doing that!
    Took a pic of my med chugging away in this winter storm.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    i was having this problem until i installed a TurboGrate, problem solved.
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    I've been there too...sucks big time
  • Cory430
    Options
    Yeah I got one on as well :)