Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Question

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The in-laws are coming over and asked if I would smoke a ham. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can go about this w/out dealing w/ a raw ham? I'll smoke a ham, but don;t want to deal w/ the brining and everything... wondering if there were any other methonds w/ other typoes of ham...

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    This is a fantastic way to do ham, even if I say so myself! :laugh: I've done this at several fests with very good reviews!!

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Buy a cooked ham and smoke it to get up to temp. Twice smoked hams are great. I am sure others will chime in. All you need to do is essentially use the egg to heat it up.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Egret posted this burbon maple ham recipe I am going to try it for Easter dinner.

Here is my ham recipe that I just did at the Florida Fest :

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Ha he beat me to it. :laugh: It looks like a winner to me can't wait to try it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    too late to start on a fresh ham anyway.

basically, a typical "american" ham that you buy at a store is precooked, and so all you need to do is heat it up. with the egg, that can include smoke. nothing to it.

there are plenty of recipes that folks will lead you to, and all are good in their own way. but basically, you are just going to do the exact same thing in the egg that you did in an oven: reheat and already cured/cooked ham.

if you had a country ham, you'd have to soak the thing to remove the excess salt, but it doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I don't know what it's called but it's amazing...

I get a Birkshire Ham from my local butcher and 2 frozen light rye bread dough from the local bread maker.
    I'm sure you could make your own too dough or use your favourite.

I defrost the bread dough and roll it flat (a couple of inches) I place the ham onto the bread dough completely wrapping the ham - like a beef wellington. And then cook.

The outer shell is crispy, the inside of the bread absorbs any juice that gets out of the ham, and the ham itself, its amazing.

If the ham/bread isn't gone during the first sitting, your guests will pick at it all night until it's gone.

Michael
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    How long did you cook it and at what temp?
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    350 - 20 minutes per pound. (5-7 lb ham)

Basically the same as in the oven.

The thing I love about this is that there are so many ways to jazz this up. You can glaze or rub the ham, add some spices or cloves, etc. (watch the salt) Keep in mind that whatever you do to the ham will transfer to the bread so don't go over board. You don;t have to use rye, you could use your favourite bread.

I love the tase of Birkshire Ham so I don't touch it. I simply wrap the ham in the bread dough bread dough and start the cook.

When it's done, break open the bread dough and be prepared for a delightful meal.

Michael
  • Do a search for Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham.

You will be glad that you did.