Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Envy

Options
Cactus Doug
Cactus Doug Posts: 341
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week the forum seemed full of shrimp cooks. So I did what any egger would do, cook shrimp! Shrimp were rubbed with evoo, chopped garlic and cajun spice (penzeys). Egged direct, not on raised grid at 325 for 4-5 min per side.

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

Plated, taco night. With black beans and rice.

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg

Shrimp turned out good, next time I will try 375 to 400 range, for a little more char.

Comments

• eggheadpaul
    Options
    Looks good, i will have to try it out.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    MMmmm....shrimp! Great job!
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Nice job!

Slick
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :P Yes, am envious ;)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Doug, Below is the recipe for grilled shrimp I have BGE-adapted from a Cook Illustrated evaluation of grilling shrimp. The issue they addressed was the balance between getting a good char on shelled shrimp without getting them rubbery from overcooking. Shelled shrimp remain juicy, but lack char and the flavoring comes off when peeled.
    Swamp Venom Shrimp

12 Large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, but with tails left on
    EVOO
    Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom Rub (or favorite rub)
    Granulated sugar
    Metal or bamboo skewers
    2 T butter
    2 T lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves, minced (more if love garlic)

After shrimp are prepared, run 2 skewers (so they don't spin when lifted) through underside, but alternate shrimp head to tail and push them tightly together, leaving no space between each shrimp (helps keep from overcooking). Brush with EVOO and liberally coat one side with the DP rub. Let this melt in for 10-15 minutes, then turn and very lightly sprinkle sugar on the opposite side.

Prepare the BGE for a direct cook at 450-500* dome temp. In a small metal pan, add the butter, lemon juice and minced garlic. Place on grill until butter melts, then move to a cooler part of the grill, or can place on a stove burner set to low (don’t want butter and garlic to burn).

Wipe the grate with paper towel soaked in oil, then place the skewers with the sugar side toward the fire. You just want to caramelize the sugar and slightly char the shrimp. Then turn over and char the opposite side. The shrimp should not be completely cooked at this point. Remove from grill. Place pan with sauce over hot part of grill and slide the shrimp off the skewer into the sauce. Stir over hot grill for 30-45 seconds, then remove and serve.

This method, adopted from Cook Illustrated, gives you the char from grilling without the rubbery, overcooked shrimp that often results from grilling shelled shrimp.

ENJOY ! :woohoo:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Looks absolutely succulent! You all have visions of shrimp dancing in my head! 8 - ),,,
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you, gotta try it!! 8 - ),,,
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Looking great! I love how shrimp behave closer to 400-450°F range... they turn out tender but crunchy instead of rubbery...

cheers!
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Makes perfect sense.... sear + sousvide (sort of, at least)... Had never thought about doing it on shrimp... will try it out next time!

thanks!
    cheers!
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    This looks like a great idea. The shrimp I cooked were still moist and had a great texture (not rubbery) but lacked the char. It seems like a little higher heat and from grate to pan and it will be perfect.