Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken Question

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SORRY... POSTING AGAIN BECAUSE I FORGOT TO HIT THE BOX THAT ALERTS ME WHEN PEOPLE POST RESPONSES TO MY QUESTION...

I am a new owner so all of you may see similar posts form me asking for your advice. I plan on smoking some ribs and some chicken wings next weekend. My wife does not like ribs (or chicken on the bone), so I want to make a smoked whole chicken that I can carve. Since I would like the ribs on as long as possible (I will move the wings to a gas grill before serving to heat after I toss in sauce), I want to be able to cook the whole chicken at the same slow and low temp that I will use w/ the ribs (as they'll be on at the same time). Has anyone done this? Will a chicken be ok if smoked at the 200-225 degree range?

Comments

• Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Options
    Some say that poultry should not be cooked low and slow as it may promote the growth of bacteria. I would throw some wood chunks on your charcoal and cook it at about 350 for about 1.5 hours. The chicken will get plenty of smoke flavor.

Welcome to the fold.
  • Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Options
    To me chicken usually likes around 250 to 300 degrees, but I cook my ribs at 250 or so. I have cooked all kinds of stuff at the same time, and the chicken will do fine at that temp. The skin just doesn't seem to get crispy if that's important to you. It's only important to me in competitions. I will do a whole chicken a lot and pull it like a butt and make sandwiches with it. UMM good.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    Thanks!!! I was thinking about it after I posted my question and remembered my wife liked the pulled chicken (could be a sandwich though she didn't have it that way) at a bbq restaurant we went to recently. I will use 250 as I;ve cooked ribs at that temp before using indirect method on a gas grill...
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I have smoked chicken at 250 dome before, as Keving says the skin will not get crispy. The one thing I will say about chicken and ribs together is that poultry generally absorbs lots of smoke flavor and could be very smokey by the time the ribs are done. I usually use a little less wood for chicken than I will on ribs. The last time I smoked a whole chicken on the egg it fell apart as I was taking it off! Good luck..