Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you've ever thought of buying a mini....GET IT!

Options
BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've now officially been egging for 8 months and still can't believe how much better everything on the egg tastes. I started with a large and eventually added a medium a few months later. Now I've had my mini for 1.5 months and absolutely love it..if you've ever thought about purchasing it DON"T HESITATE!!!!!

I have to admit the first time I saw the mini I thought, Who would buy that?!?! What could you possible cook on it?!?!? Well, I now know as the mini has been my main egg over the winter. Tonight I threw 4 chicken breasts (nice size ones too) on the mini and finished with grilled asparagus. The best thing is the mini was ready in no time and used very little lump. This truly is a great product.

As much as I like the mini, I still love my large and medium. I will be using them this weekend--will be cooking several butts for myself and friends.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    lol, I did once . . . but gave it to daughter :(
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    they look like a toy wen you first get them don't they! but they can work. We love our in Maine and am getting one in Ocala for here in FL. Julie
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BHE1,

That is so true. I had eggs of every size but the mini and, although I thought it was kinda neat, I didn't think I would actually use it. I recieved one as a gift from some really great friends and now it is my go to cooker.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    How much are they?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Nice. I'm all over it. I've been handcuffed a number of times in my short Egg life.
  • BHE1
    Options
    I bought mine with the stand for 195.00--however, I've spent quite a bit of money with my local dealer over the past eight months.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That's it, now I have to get a mini. I've heard too much talk about them and how great they are. I just hope I can convince my dealer that there is such a thing as a mini. This is the same dealer that argued that there is no such thing as a med. egg. :) Bad part of it is you have to wait until he has a large enough order to submit to BGE. I could possibly have to wait 6 mos. for a mini. We are in dire need of a good dealer in the Milwaukee area.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    $385 out in the great SW :angry:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    so are we here, Anne. Our dealer's manager thought, and also instructed, people to put the drip pan down into the fire!!!!!!!!! None of them really know how to cook on the BGE--and people still come in and purchase them without a clue what they are getting :whistle:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That's sad when you know more than the dealer. You would think BGE would be more selective with who they have for dealers.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    About two months our local dealer has been forced to go through a distributer instead of dealing directly with BGE. Ordering EGGcessories takes forever if you are lucky. Sounds like BGE buisness is good. I wish they would set up online shopping for EGGcessories at least. I placed an order the other day and I was told 6 to 8 weeks.
  • Mustang Sally
    Options
    Anne- I live in Janesville, WI and there are 2 dealers in this area- one in Rockford, IL at Benson Stone-furniture company and the other in Milton, WI at Shumway Appliance. I know this is a bit of a drive and I don't know who is the dealers are in Milwaukee but you might give these companies a call.
  • BHE1
    Options
    reelgem wrote:
    That's sad when you know more than the dealer. You would think BGE would be more selective with who they have for dealers.

Anne, that's to bad you have a bad dealer. I'm very lucky here with my dealership--the majority of the sales team own an egg. We share technique and recipes whenever I'm in there.

Good luck, hope you get the mini.

Ed
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My dealer is a pool place that also sells BGE's-which is true for 2 out of the 3 BGE dealers in my area. My dealer tried to talk Stike out of the small when he had already decided to get one - "Nobody uses them".

By the time I ordered the mini, he knew I had been thinking about it for awhile so he didn't try to talk me out of it- but thought I was crazy just the same.

In my dealings with my dealer, I like to think I have expanded his awareness of the Egg. He didn't know you used both a platesetter and a pizza stone for a pizza cook. I know he didn't know you could cook a whole chicken or a roast in the mini before I showed him.

I remember when my father got a hibachi when I was a kid- easy to use, takes up no space. My parents thought it was great and we all loved it. The Mini is like the Hibachi for the 21st century.
  • LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    Options
    We just opened a dealership, and tried our best to have it full of accessories. We have most everything BGE offers in stock ready to ship. Call me-- Mike Love 928-716-3418
  • LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    Options
    What part of AZ are you from. We opened a dealership in Lake Havasu and have it pretty well stocked up with about everything BGE makes.We only sell BGE's and accessories. We have more stuff than I've ever seen at any other BBQ store. Thanks Mike
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    BHE1, as you can see from my past mini posts, I also just love my mini! It is more convenient to cook on for me than my large, especially for short cooks. Also it is fun coming up with new things to cook on it - it fits more than you would think.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i love my mini as well. bought it less than a year ago. i think i paid about $140 for it sans stand.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I have a mini for sale or trade. The mini is just too small for our puposes. We need a small. I you are going to be in Ocala, let talk or just email me. :)
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP