Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Words of Wisdom

Options
BuBaQlishus
BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, this is the down and dirty..I would love to do a slow, lean(for my cardiologist) pork shoulder or butt..is this possible :huh: or am I in denial :S my inner self is telling me that if I have to go lean this should be a loin roast....tell me this is not necessarily sooo and if my dream can come true how best to accomplish it....Lay it on me :woohoo:

The Darkside
:evil:

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You're in denial. If you cook a lean cut of meat like you would a butt or shoulder it will be dry and inedible. That is the whole trick actually, a butt is completely overcooked and dry but the fat and the connective tissue turn into gelatin and coat the fiber of the meat giving the mouth illusion that it is moist.

Just cook a loin to about 150°, slice it thin, and put some BBQ sauce on it and you'll be fine.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    You're in denial. There isn't a way to make a butt lean and if there was it would taste like a shoe. :sick: Stick with loin or tenderloin, live for your children/grandchildren. ;) (More butt for me!) B)
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    hey Buba but I don't think their is such a thing as lean pork shoulder or butt. Also most low and slow cooks are for rendering the fat. So for lean cuts you go fast and hot. You might look into the low carb diet style if you want butts or shoulders. On the other hand plenty of low fat cooks can be made on the egg with awesome results. Just my few cents...
    Last pork shoulder that I did

12027a005.jpg
    120308012.jpg
  • BuBaQlishus
    Options
    John, that is just too cruel
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey BubaQ,

Go for the butt. The key is to eat in moderation and have plenty of healthy sides to enjoy also. Life is to short. I had three major heart attacks in one week and found out I was dieing from diabetes. That was about 14 years ago. I have had to make many sacrifices to my diet but have not given up everything, it's all in moderation. I still have my Bratwurst and Italian sausage only now maybe once every couple of weeks or once a month not every other night. There are no bad foods just bad eating habits. :)

Gator