Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron griddle

Options
mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was in my garage today and ran across a cast iron griddle i got for xmas a couple yrs. ago. it has the ribs on it so it would have grill marks. has anyone used one of these to cook steaks? i was thinking of just putting it right on the lump. do you think that would work?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I don't know if I would put it directly on the lump. I use a spider rig and place the CI pan on it. I think blackening a steak would be better with that griddle.

blkstk2.jpg

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05128a.jpg

I use the same set-up as CWM for steaks and chops, for other things I just set it on the grate.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    thanks for the info. i guess i will use it since it was a xmas present. thanks again
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I use this little one in my medium it's flat on the other side. I built a holder out of ss, it sits up a little above the lump.
    120408003.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've got three or four cast iron griddles. The one that I use most is round, has a flat and a ribbed side. I haven't used the ribbed side yet for steaks but I've used it for some fantastic Paninis at the 2007 Eggtoberfest in Atlanta.

SpringHenChickensPaniniMuffelotto.jpg

I've also done some nice breakfasts on the smooth side.

BaconEggSausageonGriddle.jpg

A few months ago I purchased a stainless steel griddle called a Griddle Q for my gasser and another one for my Large BGE. I haven't used the one on the Egg yet but only because I've been practicing on the gasser.

Here's a steak I did on it and was impressed with the outcome.

SirloinSteakontheGriddleQ1-26-09-1.jpg

SirloinSteakalmostdoneontheGriddleQ.jpg

SirloinSteakofftheGriddleQ1-26-0-1.jpg

For some reason I had it in my head that good steak had to be cooked on a grid. Not so. This one turned out delicious. And it was only a select sirloin marked down to half price. I'm sure it would have equally good on a cast iron grill, flat side or ribbed side.

I think you should explore the many options you have with your new found toy. I think you will pleasantly surprised at how useful a tool it can be.

Spring "Fire And Steel Makes For Great Meals" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I use both the flat and the ribbed side of my 14-inch round griddle. I love it! I have to put it on the grate though; I can’t wait to get a spider (I want the adjustable rig too). I think that blackening and searing on the spider is going to be the ticket. You get plenty of heat down next to the lump without having to stoke the egg so hot. Sear and then pull food up off the spider and finish on the grill without having to adjust the temp on the egg. What could be better? B)