Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Chops

Options
Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a couple of stuffed chops last night. Stuffed them with provolone, blackberry jam and baby spinach, compliments of the forum. The came out just like the rest of my pork chops, just average. I cooked them at 350 indirect to 155 internal. Does anybody have good success with pork chops? Any suggestions would be helpful.
stuffedChops2.jpg

StuffedChops.jpg

Comments

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    They look like boneless chops. IMHO, these usually have less flavor and dry out more than a thick rib chop. Brining usually helps, also. Was the meat overcooked, dry, or just not enough flavor? They LOOK good!

My "go to" chops are bone-in, at least an inch thick, brined for at least six hours or over night. Light dusting of Raising the Steaks, cooked direct at 300, pulled at 140 internal, wrapped in foil for ten minutes prior to serving.

Now that you got me drooling, I gotta go see my butcher this morning!

Slick
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Eggspert:

I cook boneless pork chops quite often and have found a brine does help. I usually on go a couple of hours brining. Also, I never take pork chops above 145 internal before pulling.

Other than the green stuff you have in yours, they do look good. We have stuffed with various jams (peach, apricot or blueberry) in the past and also have included cashews as some of the stuffing. The ideas are only limited by your imagination.

Better luck next time!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I cook a lot of boneless chops and found ether the brine like the guys are saying or a good marinade a few hours works great. You can even use good old Italian dressing for your marinade. Good Luck
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Eggspert,

Couple of ideas, you can hot tub them and do a sear to finish, or you can do them indirect at lower temps. The low and slow really works IMHO

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    I had good success with a simple recipe I stole from here on the forum. Took a 1" thick bone in Chop and marinated it for 6 hrs in equal parts maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Cooked 2 minutes per side at 400*, then slide it over out from direct heat and let it finish to desired temp. Probably some of the best chops I've made on the egg. Simple too.

Gordon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    only so much you can do with them IMHO. i find they dont have too much flavor anymore. heres things that help. find a flavor combo you like, the more intense the better.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/188909.htm

pull it off the egg at 139 to 142 degrees internal, 155 is way to high as it will climb past 160 on the table resting.

find a bone on country rib roast and make your chops from that, this part of the loin is sometimes cut into loin cut country ribs or is ground, contains a stronger flavor darker meat thats not "pretty" white like the bigger part of the loin and has more tasty fat.

i like the thin chops fried better instead of egged

buy centercut lamb chops instead, way better than pork
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it