Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So....been sitting at home now for 4 days with the killer flu bug that is destroying new england and thought, crap, what a good weekend for jerk chicken! So who out there has the authentic, jamaican-roadside shack recipe. I have tried many premades, but none come close!

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I just ordered some!

thanks
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    this is pretty good
    Jamaican Jerk Marinade Ingredients
    1 1/2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon , juice 1 to 2 Limes
    1 1/2 teaspoons Ground nutmeg , 1 1/2 cups Vinegar , 1/2 cup Olive oil
    1 tablespoon Ground sage , 1/2 cup Soy sauce
    1 tablespoon Black pepper , 1 cup Onion medium, diced
    2 tablespoons Ground allspice , 1 cup Orange juice
    2 tablespoons Dried thyme , 3 bunch Scallion
    2 tablespoons Sugar, 1 to 4 habanero peppers chopped
    4 Garlic cloves chopped
    put in blender,blend I like mine a little on the chunky side
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Here's the recipe I've used for the past two years. You can definitely ramp it up by adding more scotch bonnets. I use thighs instead of breast.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon Ground allspice
    1 tablespoon Dried thyme
    1 1/2 teaspoons Red pepper as required
    1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
    3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
    3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons Salt
    2 tablespoons Garlic powder
    1 tablespoon Sugar
    1/4 cup Olive oil
    1/4 cup Soy sauce
    3/4 cup White vinegar
    1/2 cup Orange juice
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 Scotch bonnet pepper,
    Seeded and finely chopped
    1 cup Chopped white onion
    3 Green onions, finely chopped
    4 Chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz e
    Trimmed of fat

Instructions
    In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pep- per, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper,. onion, and green onions and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible. Preheat an outdoor grill. Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Heat the leftover marinade and serve on the side for dipping. NOTE: This is the recipe as listed in the cookbook. Per- sonally, I would NEVER heat the leftover marinade and serve on the side for dipping, especially something that you had marinated POULTRY in. A MUCH better idea would be to reserve some of the marinade (BEFORE you put the chicken in it) and save it for serving. This recipe is also from Sugar Reef Caribbean Cooking by Devra Dedeaux. "This recipe is not as hot as you would find in Jamaica. For that authentic flavor, double the quantity of dry spices." From Geminis MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

Grove Notes: when doing on the Big Green Egg, don't forget to use the grate extender. Run at 450-500 for 5 minutes per side. Grilled with lump and oak but would be more authentic if I can get some pimento wood next time.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This