Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip

newegg
newegg Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen Tri tips on this site before. I have bought some this evening at the comissary and would like some help on how to prepare them. I checked the cookbook, but could find no info on Tri tips. Any help will be appreciated. By the way...Happy Valentines Day!! :):):) Any Tips for the Tri Tips will be greatly apprecited :laugh: :laugh:

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Season with salt and pepper or better yet, a spice blend like Dizzy Pig Cow Lick or Dizzy Dust. Sear the roast over a hot fire for a few minutes each side. Watch the sear on the fat side closely.

After searing, close the vents down to achieve a temperature of around 350. Depending on size and how well cooked you like your beef, it will take between half an hour and an hour to roast. When you cool down the fire, you might want to throw on some wood chunks or chips. I like a handful of fresh hickory twigs.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I trim the fat & silver skin --

Liberally S&P and/or apply your favorite rub. Wrap tightly in plastic, and rest in fridge for an hour or so... I do overnight.

Sear each side on hot cast iron grate, about 650F or so. When the meat no longer sticke to the grate [about 2 min] turn it.

Pull the meat and rest it as soon as it's seared, then drop the temp of the Egg to 350F-ish.

Roast the tri-tip to 125F-ish internal...

Pull the roast, double wrap in HD foilm towels and put in your "Coleman" type cooler... for at least an hour. Up to four hours is really safe... will still be hot. This "wrap-rest" really tenderizes the meat and intensifies the flavor.

Be sure to see ahead of time which direction lies the grain... it's tricky!

Cut thin against the grain and serve!

Good stuffs!

~ Broc
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Is the final stage done direct?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Try the first recipe listed here:

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php

No one has complained yet.
  • Broc
    I sear direct -- roast indirect...

But, there are cooks on this site who know a lot more than I!

~ Broc :ermm:
  • Broc
    Rich --

Thanks for listing this again! It's a fine recipe!

~ Broc
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    What would be a good temp range for medium?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • I've been cooking 'tip for 10 years, and until recently I always did it the same way everyone seems to be recommending - high heat sear, then slow it down and bring up to temp. I loved it - 'tip is my all time favorite cut of meat, and kept cooking it this way because it almost always came out good, but there was one problem - the red/pink center was always smaller than I liked, and occasionally an inferior 'tip would come out a tad dry.

So, after 9 years, I started experimenting. After doing some reading and thinking on heat and how meat reacts to it, I decided to try the opposite (with much credit to Cooks Illustrated and Alton Brown). I brought my roast up to about 100 internal temp indirect @ about 250. The meat looked ugly - pale, floppy, and drab - but I wasn't done yet. I moved the meat directly over the coal side and dropped the grate really low to get a super hot sear. Seared all sides, and it came up to ~125 where I pulled it.

WOW! Gorgeous crust, and when I cut into it, the non-pink ring was super thin, and the roast was moist and juicy.

On my next cook I adapted this to the egg by pulling the roast and letting it rest while I pulled the place setter and brought the egg from 250-700. Same story - perfect tri-tip. Now this is the only way I do it...