Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a big fish person, nor am I a "glaze" lover...

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
but I did the Dizzy Pig Raging River Maple Glazed Salmon this evening. That is some good eats. The maple syrup cut with butter put just enough sweet on to make it interesting without the "teeth on edge" sweetness you get from most glazes. Thanks for the recipe, Chris. But, to whine just a little, you need to rewrite that section on timing. The "10 to 30 minutes and don't touch the dome" thing is a head scratcher. I could have pulled mine a little sooner than I did, but it was still wonderful. Next time I think 7 or 8 per side and then a couple more each with the glaze will be plenty. Leftovers for lunch tomorrow, too! :woohoo:

Comments

• Like most everything else on the egg, "cook till done" is probably the best time information for this recipe. We make it a lot and it varies significantly depending on the thickness of the salmon. Sometimes 4-5 minutes per side, others 10-12.

Leftovers? Never had those before :laugh:
  • jeffinsgf
    Midnight Smoker wrote:...Leftovers? Never had those before :laugh:[/quote]

It took a great deal of restraint on my part. :P

So how do you judge done? Is there an internal temp to shoot for? Mine were approaching dry. They weren't, but they were headed that way.
  • We're kind of funny. We like our tuna seared with an internal temp of about 95. But for salmon we usually go to 135-140. Best thing to do is experiment and find out your tastes. First time I got 3 filets and pulled them at different temperatures to find out which we liked best. Now I just shoot for that temperature and could care less about the time.
  • Thanks for the post, I'm doing the same receipe tomorrow for Valentines day! :)

Your comments were helpfull. I have never done well with fish till I got a grid to put on the grill, so now my "sticking" problems are gone.

thanks
    ross
  • jeffinsgf
    Good luck. I think you'll love it. The worst part is skinning the filets. You need a really sharp knife and some patience. But, getting the glaze on both sides makes it worth the effort.