Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there such a thing as too big of lump?

Jail egger
Jail egger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a bag of lump and am going to do a butt over night. When I opened the bag on top there was some huge pieces of lump. A couple pieces would not even fit in the egg because they were too long. But I used the Whiz's method of large chunks pyramided up and filled with smaller pieces. I figure it is great because none of my ventilation holes will be plugged. These pieces were biggers than any of the pics on the Whiz's review. they appeared to be carbonized, but should I not use that big of piece? Any thoughts on the subject?....by the way is is Lazzari Mesquite lump.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag16.htm

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    If you can get in so it will burn than it's perfect. I usually have the other end of the spectrum, and get stuff that too small. Certainly, you could break it in half if its that long.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    personally when I find large chunks of lump I save them in a bucket and then after it's full I whack them with a hammer. Lump is essentially pure carbon and it shatters easily.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Answer to that question is yes.I used to buy forty pound bags of commercial-restaurant grade of lump and all of it was the size of your forearm and six to ten or plus long.That stuff is designed for the open pit guys or those big rig smokers that you need a truck to tow.In a ceramic cooker they take to long to get things hot.It is better to use mixed sizes or cut those big boys down to size.I saved a few of the bags to put down three or four big pieces on the bottom for a low and slow cook.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    I'm with RRP, I consider them a treasure trove. Save them for long cooks. I generally put them somewhere in the middle of the pile to the sides a little.