Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DP Rubs - First purchase tonight...

Options
ArchDeluxe
ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Unfortunately, I have never tasted any of the DP rubs and from what I've read on many, many posts here, I am missing out!!! I'm planning to order either the 4-pack or 5-pack tonight and wanted your suggestions on which 4 or 5 are must have's in your cabinets.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Just get all 10 and be done with it..

But if I had too:

Dizzy Dust.
    Shaking the Trees
    Raising the Steaks
    Cowlick
    Raging River.

You will get samples of all the others anyway :)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Dizzy Dust, Raisin' The Steaks, Cow Lick, and Shakin' The Tree are on my "must have" list. Ragin' River and Swamp Venom round out my current collection.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd start with some basics first:

* Dizzy Dust
    * Ragin' River
    * Raisin' the Steaks
    * Shakin' the Tree
    * Redeye Express

If you're more into spicy rubs, try:

* Swamp Venom
    * Jamaican Firewalk
    * Cowlick
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    So far I have used 3 - "Shakin' the Tree" & "Tsunami Spin" on Ckn; then "Raging River" last night on Salmon and asparagus. At the rate I'm going, all the DP rubs are going to be my favs. These first three are great.

I sucked it up and ordered the discounted 10-pack. Having fun working my way through all of them.

Oh yeah, the other night we had turkey soup and on my second bowl, I sprinkled some Dizzy Dust into it and WOW! it really enhanced the flavors in the soup.

You cannot go wrong with any choices.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I have:

Dizzy Dust
    Shakin the Tree
    Raising the Steaks
    Swamp Venom

I had the 10 pack sampler, but one visit my son made off with some of the samples.

How is the Jamaican Firewalk compared to Swamp Venom?

What is the Redeye Express good on?

I see these two mentioned a fair amount, heck I see most of mentioned.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dizzy Dust is a staple. I seem to use Ragin' River on everything, meat, veggies, breads, eggs, etc. etc. For awhile, I was using Raising the Steaks on all sorts of beef, but recently have come to appreciate Cowlick a lot more. My wife doesn't like hot too much, so I save the Swamp Venom and Fire Walk for my ribs. Tsunami Spin gets used most often, curiously enough, in salads.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Jamaican Firewalk isn't quite as spicy as Swamp Venom, but it adds a lot of flavor, things like allspice. It's great on shrimp.

We like putting Redeye on pork loin. It doesn't taste anything like the coffee that's in it, but it's quite good.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    1. Red Eye Express0(I use it in my Bloody Mary's too!)
    2. Raging River
    3. Swamp Venom
    4. Jamaican Firewalk
    5. Plain old Dizzy Dust
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I use Red Eye for everything from country sausage on Saturday mornings to Bloody Mary drinks..it's most excellent imho on pork due to the slight coffee effervescence and flavor, but has a nice kick to it...use it on chops, ribs, sausage patties, fatties, etc etc
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    salt free dizzy dust and ragin river are my two top ones. raisin the steaks...... drool..... I got a nice box in the mail day before yesterday and did not get a pic posted. 6 pounds of delsih rubs :) I am stocked for at least a month Ha Ha!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    That's like asking us to pick a favorite child (even those of us without children!)

Only 5?.... hmmm.... We absolutely couldn't do without

Tsunami Spin
    Raging River
    Cowlick
    Raising the Steaks
    Shakin' the Tree

If we did more pork butt, I'd have to add Dizzy Dust to the above, but I like Tsunami or a blend of that plus Raging River on my ribs.

Oh, and I have (but haven't yet tried) Red Eye. I like coffee rubs on things like flank steak, and got it for that, but we're still eating down the collection of ribeyes and NY strips in the freezer and for those we adore 1 side with Cowlick and the other with Raising the Steaks (that's also how we do our burgers).
    Egging in Crossville, TN