Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature question

Options
Dukester
Dukester Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I did a spatchcock chicken (best meal I've ever had!)indirect at 350* for an hour. I wanted the skin a little crispier so after an hour I opened both vents all the way but the temp wouldn't get above 400*. There was plenty of lump left. Anybody have any ideas why I couldn't get the temp any higher?

Comments

• Two guesses (and guesses only) might be that you did not have enough lump or more likely ash had blocked the holes in your grate. Do you have a wiggle stick & know how to use it? Try that. A wiggle stick can be a wire coat hanger with approx. a 4" bend up at the end. Stick it in your bottom vent and poke through the holes in your grate. If ash is blocking it, that should clear it.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I usually cook mine at 400 dome temp indirect. When the bird is about ready to come off I pull the platesetter and go direct for about 5 minutes a side. Makes skin crisp nicely although you need to keep checking so you don't burn it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    it will climb faster if you take the daisy completely off the egg. i like those done direct on a raised grid better starting skin side down to get the skin cooking first. if your trying to crisp the skin last you will overshoot your internal temps everytime.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dukester
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate all your help