Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need top round roast advice

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received a BGE for xmas. I've cooked ribs on it but am going to cook a top round roast on it this evening. This roast is about 2 inches thick and 11 inches across, basically a really big steak. Also, this as an organic, grass-fed piece of meat I got from a local farmer, so its pretty lean. I'd like to sear it at a high temp on both sides and it needs to be rare to med. rare. My questions are:

what temp?
how long on each side.

thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    First, Congratulations and welcome. The best way to prepare this is by making some thin cuts across the surface of each side and then marinating for several hours or overnight. Sear each side for a couple of minutes and pull. Bring Egg temp down to 350 or 400 and roast until 125 for rare to 135 for medium rare.

Let the roast rest a bit in foil, then slice VERY thin diagonally across the grain. This is a typical London Broil. Search recipes for London Broil for marinade help (garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, rub, oil, red wine vinegar, etc.) I'm sure some others will chime in, but get it marinating NOW if you want it for dinner tonight.

Mark
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    thanks for the tips. I'll be able to marinate it for about 5 hours. These cuts are usually pretty tender unless they're overcooked.

John
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Please post your results. I've always considered Top Round to be tougher than other cuts which is why it is used for London Broil or Pot Roasts. If you have good luck with it, maybe I'll give one a try in the future.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I know I'm late with this, but it can be food for thought for the next one you do.
    I am mostly responding with the marinade I like to use, but have copied the recipe complete.
    I lean toward the longer roasting, now that I have an Egg, but both methods will work.

LONDON BROIL
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB

5 large garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs. top-round London broil

1)) Mince the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, then blend with the remaining salt, red wine, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and honey.
    2)) In a heavy-duty sealable plastic bag, combine London broil with marinade. Seal bag, pressing out excess air, and put in a shallow baking dish. Marinate steak, chilled, turning occasionally, at least 4 hours and up to 24.

3)) Bring steak to room temperature before grilling. Remove steak from marinade, letting excess drip off.

Method / Approach

Keep in mind that cook times are basically nothing more than guide lines and that temping. is the best way to achieve your level of doneness.

a) Grill on a grid set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals (about 500 F.) for about 7 minutes on each side for medium-rare.

b) Sear on both sides with a hot fire, remove and cool down the Egg to 325 - 350 F. Roast on a raised grid about 30 min. / lb. for a medium-rare.

4)) Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Holding a knife at a 45-degree angle, cut steak across grain into thin slices.

Serving suggestion: Garnish with fresh tomatoes slices along side.