Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheesecake First Attempt

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try and bake a cheesecake on my egg this afternoon. I am going to use the recepie you see below since I have all of the ingrediants on hand.

I was planning on setting the the platesetter feet side down grill ontop of that and pizza stone on top of that. I was going to follow the directions on baking the same heat to 500 cook for 10-15min turn down to 200 for 2 more hours......

Any suggestions or comments to keep me from being dissapointed? I have read where some people put water in a pan below the cake????

Ingredients: Cake:

5 blocks of cream cheese;

5 eggs;

2 egg yolks;

3.5 Tablespoons flour;

1 tablespoon vanilla;

1.75 cups sugar;

Pinch of salt;

Zest of one orange & one lemon;

Crust:

2 packets of graham crackers, pulverized; 1

1 melted stick of butter

* you can also add cinnamon & sugar to this if you want, but not necessary;

Instructions: Mix the butter & crackers together & form into spring form pan with a water glass to get up around the edges.

Beat the other ingredients together (except the zest) until it attains one homogenous color (I start with the paddle attachment on the Kitchen Aid to incorporate then go to the wire whisk to really beat the crap out of it - I think this also may whip some air into it which gives it a lighter feel). Then, add the zest & fold in with rubber spatula (I have found that if you try & mix this in with the paddle and whisk, half of it sticks to these implements & never makes it into your cake).

Put pan onto pizza stone at 500 for 10-15 minutes, then cut heat down to 200 for another 2 hours, pull, let cool on counter to room temperature (until it stiffens enough to remove outer ring of the form pan), then refrigerate for a least 4 or so hours.

Notes: * be sure to shake the pan a little when the time is up, if the center jiggles too much, let it go another 15 minutes & re-check, a little jiggle is OK but too much & it is not done; * I put heavy foil around the base of the pan as some butter always manages to leak out & the stone will suck that right on in, then smoke, which could lead to issues of unhappiness & so on & so forth...

Comments