Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - smoke?

Options
Bama Chad
Bama Chad Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, just picked up an 11lb 4 bone rib roast for Christmas Day. It looks amazing! Going to take it home and cook for the fam on the XL back home. Gonna do Thirdeye'e recipe with RRP's rub.

Question: Does anyone use any wood smoke with these? Most of the posts & recipes don't mention any, and I could see why...probably doesn't need any.

Just curious if anyone uses smoke...if so, what kind?

Thx, Merry Christmas & Happy Festivus! :)

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    just a personal thing I suppose so if you like your steaks with smoke then go for it. I on the other hand like my finer cuts of meat to stand proud on their own (albeit with the rub etc :laugh: ). Besides the rule of thumb applies here too...it's what YOU like, not what WE like...this isn't a judged event, but your castle, so make yourself proud!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like apple and guava and sometimes place 4-5 tablespoons of recycled coffe grounds in an aluminum pouch with holes and toss on fire. Tea leaves work great for poultry.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    6ef732c9.jpg

My favorite woods for beef would be pecan, oak and pecan. Yeah, I listed pecan twice, cause I really like it. Below is some wine barrel oak. I'll be using a split or so on a beef tenderloin roast for Christmas.

DSC04703.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery