Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

confused on band removal

Neil Gunn
Neil Gunn Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When replacing the gasket on a large, do you remove both the bottom and dome bands and then reassemble as in the original assembly instructions after the gasket has been replaced? Or,
do you just remove the dome band? If just the dome, is the spring hinge allowed to open or should it be clipped closed ? Thanks,

Barry

Comments

• if your replacing the gasget on the dome and on the main part of the egg (which you should do while your at it) you will need to take the band off of both pieces. let me warn you, you need to put the white plastic pieces on the spring so it won't open. i got a nice cut on my face and a big busted lip from not taking the time to do this last week. the band slipped down on the egg and i put my arms around the egg and pulled it back up. it popped open and smacked me real good in the face. the best way to remove is..

1. secure the spring from opening (with white plastic pieces)

2. loosen the bolts on the band on the dome and egg all the way, then loosen the 8 bolts holding the spring on the band

3. lift the dome off and place it in a safe place
    (this sometimes takes two people to be safe)

4. remove the band

to replace it do this in reverse order, tighening the band on the egg, then on the dome, then check gap with a dollar bill, then tighten the 8 bolts holding the spring to the band, then check again with dollar bill and adjust where necessary.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I removed the band while the egg was on the table, then took the dome off & flipped over onto the work bench, then pulled the bottom out & put on the garage floor for ease of work. Then just reassembled in reverse, securing the bottom band first then pulling the top down around the dome...:

IMG_1822.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • DSCN3683.jpg
    You want to hold them in-place so I used ties.
  • Thanks for the reponses. However, I don't understand the necessity of loosening the bolts that hold the spring on the bands. I don't see having a problem doing that, but it seems like the fewer things loosened, the less chance of getting them out of whack when reassembling. As usual, I'm probably making this more complicated than it really is.

Barry
  • The idea of having everything loose is everything is floating to give you the best fit. If you have one of the things locked down the other items in the system can't float.
  • watch the video on you tube about assembling the bge ... you don't have to loosen the 8 bolts that hold the spring on if you don't want to, but the tolerences with the new gasget are going to be different than they were before with the old and probably thinner gasget ... the most important thing is to secure the spring and avoid a trip to the emergency room
  • Even if you use the white plastic piece I strongly suggest you also use the ty-wraps like Ross In Ventura showed. The plastic pieces can easily slip off and you will have a mini disaster on your hands. If you are going to go through the major deal of changing the gasket do yourself a favor and put on a Nomex gasket. Call the main store in Atlanta for one.
  • Thanks again for all the advice and tips. I definitely intend to use the ties, and have received a new Nomex gasket. Just waiting for some decent weather.

Barry
  • Barry,
    Make sure when you put the Nomax Gasket on that you do not lip it over on the inside of the rim have all the excess on the outside of the rim.
    Good Luck,