Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New way to make small fire?

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't recall seeing this, but it's probably been posted. I am smoking some cheese today so made some small guava chunks and lit them with some lump in a small can. Dumped the burning lump/wood into a little firebrick box I made in the bottom of the egg. It's smoking now... Last time I had the tile saw out, I cut some of the firebricks into little building blocks.

Guava chunks

DSCF1603.jpg

Mini fire box

DSCF1606.jpg

Tillamook medium chedder
DSCF1608.jpg

Fire Can
DSCF1609.jpg

In the egg
DSCF1610.jpg

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Looking good, let us know how your setup works. I will be interested in how your cheese comes out as I eat but have not smoked Tillamook extra sharp chedder.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    I too was going to smoke some cheese for a gettogether that some friends of ours are having tomorrow.
    It's not so much the temp outside as it is the wind that is coming in. 30 to 40 miles per hour and we already have 8 inches......altho the way the wind is blowing, there is still some uncovered areas out there to go with the drifts.

The nice thing about smoking cheese today....I don't think I would have to worry about it overheating.

temp.jpg

Everyone should be happy about the white Christmas tho.

:laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cool idea.

i have a bunch of brick pavers. i bit you could overlap them in a pinwheel create that small smolder-box you have without cutting (since i don't have a tile saw).

viz:
    egginators_smokebox.jpg

prepping for my year-end financial review and taxes. hmmmm. what's this credit card bill i found? looks like everyone's getting cheese for christmas. including the kids!

i'm going to try a dry fit. i'm wondering if the bricks still might be a little long, with the outside corners resting on the sloped sides of the ceramic firebox. in which case i'd hafta, um, cut them i guess, like you did
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ric3677
    Options
    Stike, I assume you have a skil saw, looking at the pics that you have of the deck. Nice job by the way. Just go to your local hardware store and pic up an abrasive saw blade for stone and it cuts like butter. Just watch the dust.

Rick in Mt.
  • stike
    Options
    i do have a skil saw...
    no deck though!

actually, i could just break the pavers, but i have been saving them. they match the patio (they are leftovers) and someday (when , i have no idea!) i want to make a brick table of sorts for the large and small BGE.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'm doing some cheese as we speak. I just put a few briquettes in a small foil pan. I placed the pan on top of the lump in the Egg, so I didn't even have to empty out the Egg. This time, the cheese will cool outside and get bagged outside before going into the fridge, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • ric3677
    Options
    Whiz, Now there's a great idea.....not to have to empty the lump

Rick in Mt.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Here's my smoke generator can. The holes create a good source of air flow.
    IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Looks too cold for me. Living in the southwest desert where we have warm weather is my style.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Pay shipping and I'll mail you some firebricks :woohoo:

Look for a concrete supply place. I bought my pavers at one (way cheaper and better than Blue and Orange) and picked up my firebricks for less than two dollars each.

.......but I could mail you some......for probably 20 dollars LOL
  • stike
    Options
    nah. but thank you.
    i am a bit of a curmudgeon for always saying this, but there's no need for firebricks at the temps we operate.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That is because you are just a youngun :evil:

Back in the day we used firebricks to cook indirect. Once upon a time BGE did not make platesetters and we didn't even know obout Davens Ceramics and the first platesetters (thin and didn't sit on the firering).

H
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yep, it turned out fine. I'll have to update the webpage...
    The Naked Whiz
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Stike,

Can you use the same approach but stand the bricks on end?
  • stike
    Options
    yes, you are right. i still have much to learn from you guys that are long time eggers.

i don't mean to pooh pooh the firebricks. i just have so many pavers, and the risks of them 'sploding are so little, that i'll probably just try them first.

before the platesetter i was using bricks, pizza stones, even a big flat rock. hahaha
  • egginator
    Options
    The cheese came out great. Last year it had a distinct acrid/bitter initial smoke bite. This year it was more mellow, but more thoroughly smoky if that makes any sense.

Ed

DSCF1612.jpg

Gift wrap

DSCF1616.jpg

I did some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom Almonds too

DSCF1617.jpg