Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg cart question??

Options
swamprb
swamprb Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all! I've got a question and I'm looking for feedback.
I'm mounting 2 LBGE's on a 60"x24" Metro Foodservice cart, the wire shelves are rated at 300lbs. I've looked at some others have made and notice their Eggs are sitting on pavers or granite/tile slabs. Do you think its necessary? I could see having them on my wood table, but still trying to work this one out. What do you think? http://www.storables.com/Shop/Shelving/Steel-Shelving/?launch_pg=itemPage&launch_sel=1004044&launch_pg_s

Thanks!
Brian

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    My only concern would be the heat decreasing the load capacity of the shelf. Are you putting both Eggs on the one shelf rated for 300#? If so I personally would be too worried to try it.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I have a large and a small mounted in a wire shelving table I made from 4x8 shelves. I do not think weight is an issue.

Nor is a supporting stone. I did make plywood boxes to get the correct height. I made sure to use the egg feet and topped the boxes with aluminum flashing.

I recommend going with the black powder coated shelving as the chrome will rust badly after several years.

The hardest part is making the top. I tried several variations before settling on plywood top.

I recommend getting the large wheels. (5"?)
    Thet are a big help even if you only move the cart a little ways.

I went to wire shelving after trying several wood tables. I like the wire table a LOT.

Newtable4-7-24-2005-640x480.jpg
    The early chrome version

Spaceman Spiff
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I too would be concerned about putting a 280 lb load on a shelf rated to 300 lbs. A large and a small would be ok, but two Larges? I don't know.

How much meat are you going to be cooking at one time? will you be using more than 1 platesetter at a time? I think if you will be cooking Pizzas on both at the same time (which would be really cool, BTW) you'd be over 300 lbs.

I don't know how heat will affect the strength of the metal and/or how much heat would be required to affect it. But I think that's a good question.

If you want to be able to move it, you should have big wheels on it. If it will be moving across a smooth, level concrete surface, you can get away with smaller dia wheels. The more bumps or uneven surfaces you go over the larger your wheel diameter should be. If you will be moving across grass, you should probably have (4) 8" to 10" inflatable tires.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Careful on the wheels. The larger the wheels the more top heavy and unstable the cart becomes. You can go larger wheels if you cut down the height. The hole for my egg is snug enough it kind of supports it in mid air and keeps it off the rack by about 2".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good point Buster!
    When I was talkin wheels, I was speaking generally and wasn't thinking about this specific situation.
  • swamprb
    Options
    The wheels are the 4' Industrial casters and it will only be moved occasionally a few feet from under cover. With a shelf below the Eggs and brace rails around the top it is very stable.
    Right now I have a LBGE and a L Imperial Kamado in a wood frame table and rarely use both at the same time.
  • swamprb
    Options
    The shelves Storables has are rated 300lbs per shelf, but mine have additional truss bracing, so I'm confident they will hold 2 Larges.