Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst ribs ever on an egg

2»

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is the one time I advocate looking during a low and slow.. Yes open the lid, spritz and close the lid.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Thanks CW, you just answered a question I always wondered but was afraid to ask! I suppose it's likewise for PP.
    canuckland
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I guess what I really wanted to point out is that most advice is not meant to be followed to a tee, because it.....can't be. That's why both recipes I used as an example mention a range when it comes to temps and time, and an educated judgement call about doneness. Heck, a 1/2 pound weight difference in a rack of ribs will cause some differences in either recipe.

The best plan is to use whatever recipe or method as a guideline, making your own notes as you go. Don't try to change more than one or maybe two things at a time or you loose your reference. Pretty soon, you will develop the barbecuist's sixth sense where sight and touch are heightened. That combined with your thermometers and clock will give you that edge.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Nope.. I shut the lid on my Pork Butts and don't open it till my Guru goes BEEP BEEP BEEP.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    only thing that'll make them mushy is acidic marinades. i have left dry rubbed ribs as long as a week when the schedule got screwed up. they don't go hammy and they don't get mushy.

frankly. sounds like you gave up on them too early (without foiling i go 7/8 hours sometimes).

here's a contradiction. a tough dry rib is an undercooked one. yep. they dry out and are still tough at about 4 to 5 hours. cook them longer, and the collagen breaks down and moistens the meat with what is now gelatin.

most folks new to the egg and smoking ribs will panic, and pull things too soon.

better luck next time.

first time through, FOLLOW A KNOW METHOD. after that, experiment. but you need a benchmark to go by.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike wrote:
    frankly. sounds like you gave up on them too early (without foiling i go 7/8 hours sometimes).

Most likely that was my biggest mistake. I assumed they had passed the floppy stage.

Thanks to all for all the help and pointers.

--Dave
  • stike and others hit the nail on the head. Every time I've had tough ribs additional cooking time has cured it. Was a difficult thing for me to grasp early on...that tough ribs (or brisket or shoulder for that matter) were undercooked ribs. Goes against the rules that apply to grilling a steak for example. Melted (or broken down or liquified) collagen is a wonderful thing!

On that note, think I'll wander over to the store and get some ribs to bbq during the games this afternoon!