Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef brisket

Options
amp
amp Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, i just bought the BGE large, will pick it up monday. I want to smoke a beef brisket, probably a flat 6-8 lbs. I am looking for some BGE advice and recommendations for the most moist, flavorable finsh. I have always used a smoker with a side box and wasn't happy with trying maintain temp which i don't anticipate any probelms with the BGE.

thansk

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Check this out:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

You may want to bookmark it and look around later. Nice place.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    amp,

Are you an electrician or like that?

My suggestion would be to try a few cooks first to get used to the egg. Pulled pork is more forgiving than brisket. The temp control is really easy compared to an offset but brisket can be ornary.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Eggcelent suggestion.

I did several cooks to get used to controling the temps before I did a brisket.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Season the brisket liberally, cook around 250 dome temp (thermometer temp) until 200 internal. Check at about 195 to see if fork tender. Pull it, wrap in foil, put in an empty cooler wrapped in some towels for a couple hours then slice it. At that temp and that size it might take you 8-12 hours. Maybe a little more. About 1-1/2 hours per pound. Faster if you wrap it. Each brisket cook is different.

Some people wrap their briskets around 160 or so. Personal choice there. I've done it both ways and the wrapping will preserve a little more fluid but the egg does a good job keeping moisture.

I would calibrate your thermometer before getting started to make sure it is accurate. Just never know.

Fill firebox to the top and light at 12, 4 and 8. Indirect cook with platesetter legs up.

Not sure the time of day you would plan on doing this but you might want to make sure you can watch it until you get a feel for temp control using the bottom vent and daisy control. Ribs are a great first choice because they give you five hours or so to experiment.