Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

World Record Turkey

Options
BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just did a post Thanksgiving Day Turkey. I did the Mad Max Turkey and Gravy and Giada's Ciabatta Pancetta Stuffing (supported by Max and now me).

Everything came out awesome!

Problem:
My 20lb Butterball (never frozen) finished in 3.5 hours. This was about 2-3 hours too quick, possibly a world record!

What gives? Everything was done exactly to the book. Temp held steady at 325 dome (calibrated, check).

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    first, glad it all turned out so well. . . .as far as the fast cook, i don't have a definitive answer for you, but i'm starting to wonder if some of these birds that have been injected with liquid (like the butterballs) cook faster because the liquid in them is getting hot and cooking them from the inside out. ...sounds plausable doesn't it??

also, glad you enjoyed the stuffing. .. its our favorite these days. . .. everyone loves it ...
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    A brined bird will cook much quicker than a nonbrined bird. So you are probabley correct.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    like that huh??! . .i'm sure mensa man will tell me if i'm full of it (like a stuffed turkey)!!
  • Poppy
    Poppy Posts: 28
    Options
    I cooked a 14 lb. bird... It was brined and was at temp in 2 hours about an 1 1/2 hours sooner than I expected. Was your bird upright or in a v-rack? Mine was upright and the drip pan sat directly on the plate settter which may have contributed to the quick cook time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You are full of it :woohoo:

But you are right about this.
  • Poppy wrote:
    I cooked a 14 lb. bird... It was brined and was at temp in 2 hours about an 1 1/2 hours sooner than I expected. Was your bird upright or in a v-rack? Mine was upright and the drip pan sat directly on the plate settter which may have contributed to the quick cook time.

why would the drip pan sitting on the platesetter make the cook go faster?
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    My 15-lb. Butterball was done in 2-1/2 hours at 325. Way too fast... :angry:
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    Mine was on a rack and not upright. It seems my "World Record" does not stand alone :pinch:

The taste was great, just too early for guests....
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    Max, thanks for all the suggestions you've posted. The white whine added a nice flavor to the gravy.

The replies to the Ciabatta/Chestnut stuffing on the Food Network site were plentiful and favorable so it seemed like a no brainer. Per your suggestion, I ended up using freshly roasted chestnuts in the stuffing and that was a hit as well.

Thanks!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    My 20+ pounder was also ready in 3 hours but I shut down the Egg to 200° and left him on until sides were ready. Worked out great.

Spring "Time Out" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    This forum discussion makes me feel better. My bird was 12 lbs 12 oz. It had been injected not by me(it was bought this way) and it cooked in 2 hours at 325 degrees.That is 10 minutes per pound.

I got to baste it 3 times before it was done. I double wrapped it in HDAF and in towels. Two hours later it was still warm. And it was very tasty.