Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deal on a small!

Options
DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a chance to pick up a small, to keep my large company, from a dealer who has had it on display in a garden center gathering dust for well over 10 years. The price is ridiculously cheap. It has the old bands on it and doesn't open all the way they will have to be replaced. Are the dimensions of old Eggs exactly the same as the new ones? It is sitting in a nest that looks too big for it (included). It has never been used but looks filthy. Nothing that can't be cleaned up.Thanks guys!

Don't any of you guys in the North Jersey area even think about asking me the name of the garden center!

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    seems to me a ridiculously cheap unused egg must be purchased, just must be - I don't know about the bands, however, I am sure you can get what you need
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    DryFly:

Hhhhhmmm. How many Garden Centers can there be in Northern New Jersey that are still open. I'd really like a small. Better move fast. I'm in Central NJ so you don't have to worry that I'll nab it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    this is almost literally the "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" situation! cool.

grab it, and figure out later what you need.

i do not know definitively if the dimensions are the same, but if it's a s good a deal as you say, i'd get it. rememeber, before the new spring band and daisy, people were very happy with them, right?

i think i recall that the fireboxes and firerings may be different dimensionally, but don't take my word for it. so replacement parts might be an issue

call BGE HQ and ask for John, he'll let you know
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I bought an older small bge and replaced the scissor hinges with the new bands... worked like a charm!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    DryFly,

Can't help with the small but the new bands (and all other parts) fit my oldest large perfectly.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WileECoyote
    Options
    I always thought all eggs would be the same dimensions and replacement parts would fit all eggs no matter what. A few months ago a friend had a large egg about 9-10 years old and broke his base. He purchased a new base from a local dealer and it did not fit with his older dome or his band. They tried exchanging it with parts from a floor model but no luck. They called BGE but BGE was not able to figure out why his base was a sloghtly different size, so in the end the dealer sold him a completely new egg at a big discount per BGE's suggestion.

So I would be careful before ordering a replacement base or dome. Take some detailed measurements with a tape and caliper and compare to the new floor model parts first.

The one thing I found odd was that BGE did not stamp the eggs with model, lot, date, or serial numbers of some kind so that variations could be more easily identified. Makes supporting the lifetime warranty much more difficult if slight changes are introduced but not documented.