Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Chili Results... 1st Place!!

Options
NCSU-Q
NCSU-Q Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you thirdeye!! I made the Green Chili per your recipe and won a chili cookoff at a buddies house vs. 6 other entries. Not exactly an intense competition with chili pros, but it is always nice to whip your buddies!

The only major change I made was replacing some of the ground pork with breakfast sausage which I think added some nice flavor.

The prize? Bragging rights and a "manly" BBQ apron with plenty of pockets for your BBQ tools.

Thanks again to thirdeye and all of those you answered some of my questions last week.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Good job! More an more it sounds like we should be thinking of a Big Green Egg Chili Fest somewhere.

I've had several kinds of chili cooked on the Egg and there isn't one of them that I wouldn't go back for seconds on. Except, of course, Sundown’s Real Mans Chili . A secret recipe known to only a few worthy Eggers ;) and myself.

I have 21 recipes I've collected from the forum and cooked on the Egg. Being biased, Sundown’s Real Mans Chili is still the best.

Egret, thirdeye and AZRP, among others, have some pretty good chili in my opinion though. :evil:
  • Hsbldr1
    Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Options
    congrats! aurgh!
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Sundown wrote:
    Sundown’s Real Mans Chili . A secret recipe known to only a few worthy Eggers ;) and myself.
    I'm worthy!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey, way to go man, I was rooting for you. Mrs ~t~ is always glad to hear that...one more notch in the 'ol wooden spoon.

It has placed well is both small and larger contests, as well as being my personal favorite. It's kind of funny because for 12 or 15 years she only gave the recipe out 4 or 5 times. Then she agreed to publish it in a cookbook for charity, and then finally let me put it on my cookin' site. Since then I've had some winners e-mail and tell me that they are now keeping it a secret.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    ...how much of the meat did you munch on after it was roasted?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• NCSU-Q
    Options
    I was able to restrain myself to about 4-5 bites and stay focused on the goal... it wasn't easy though.

I did end up finding all of the peppers as well, so no problem there. The only ones that really peeled well after roasting were the anehiems; the pablano and serano didn't peel much. Do I need to roast longer or is that what you have found?

I was worried that a non-traditional chili would be enjoyed but might get judged more harshly than more traditional ones. It didn't matter. The judges picked my pot unanimously and one told me afterwards that it won "hands down".

Thanks again!!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Anaheim's do peel easier than poblanos, I'm assuming you did put them in a paper bag to sweat a while. Although I really like to smell the roasting peppers when done in the Egg, I find a weed burner does a faster and better job on the skin, and more importantly, does less drying to the flesh. The faster you get the skin to blister the easier they will peel.

There are two chile roasting videos on my site. Check them out and you can see what I'm talking about
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• NCSU-Q
    Options
    I did sweat them in a paper bag. I already had the egg cranked up from cooking dinner (and I do not own a weed burner), so the roasting was a piece of cake on the egg. I used an indirect setup, again because that was how it was set up for my dinner cook; the pablanos were on the middle of the grill and the anehiems were around the perimeter, so they probably got more heat. I roasted them for about 20 minutes at abut 350 degrees.

I didn't see/taste any signs of the un-removed pablano skins in the finished product.

Do you peel the seranos? Those showed no signs of wanting to be peeled on my end.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have been wanting to do thirdeye's green chili for awhile but can't get the peppers. this week at my store i found anehimes {sp} so it may be in the works soon ;)
    mu question is how much does it make? it seemed like alot especially if i am the only one who will be able to eat it..

and on the roasting thing next time just take all of your stuff out of the egg and throw it on the coals
    101_0389.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• NCSU-Q
    Options
    I had the same thought, that it seemed like a lot, so I cut the recipe in half, except for the meat which was technically 60% (2# ground pork + 1# breakfast sausage, instead of the 5# of pork in the recipe).

The half-ish order made a full standard-sized crock pot (old-school round one, not the fancy new oval ones). Not sure what that equates to, but I'll call it +/- 8-10 good-sized servings.

As a side note, the only part I did on the egg was the peppers. Due to time/logistic constraints, I did the rest on the stove and then transferred to the crock pot to take with me to the competition site.

Great Chili!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks for the info.. i was proabably going to do it inside also :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thirdeye
    Options
    The serranos are fresh, not roasted. They just get chopped in the food processor.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• NCSU-Q
    Options
    Oops... I threw them on the egg with the pablanos and the anehiems. Do you remove the seeds from the seranos or just cut off the stems and throw 'em in the processor?