Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless beef short ribs question

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at Costco the other day and saw boneless beef short ribs. Bought them, cooked at 250 with DP raising the steaks for 6 hours and they were only 170ish internal. Mostly because these things looked nothing like ribs. They we about 2 to 2-1/2 inches thick so I should have known they would take longer. Ate one sliced cross grain and it was pretty tough and a little dry. Cooked the other three to 195 (after foiling) and they were moist and tender and very tasty -- gotta love that DP!

Ok -- on to my question... These things looked like a great little cut of meat for pastrami. Anyone know what the heck a Costco boneless short rib is and anyone ever think about making it into pastrami? I haven't made pastrami for a couple years and I thought I'd make some with only a salt cure (No quick-cure) Anyone have a no quick cure pastrami recipe or is my memory going and that was actually a no quick cure canadian or buck-board bacon recipe I remember?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• chefreyguy12
    Options
    i am in the restaurant business and as a chef we sell the beef short rib in a fine dining restaurant braised usually in mid winter. I actually have a cooking class in 2 weeks with short ribs braised in guiness coming up. that said it is a wonder ful meat but slow & low is a must. I have it on my short list to try it on the egg this week . it does like moist cooking so , to convert to the egg i would go 200-225 , till internal 190 . enjoy its a bargain cut of winter comfort meat.
  • egginator
    Options
    Nice! I have a can of guiness sitting right here and a cast iron dutch oven just waiting to go on the egg. Keep us posted on that one!

Ed