Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket fell off during 5th use :(

Woody69
Woody69 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I lost the gasket on my new Large BGE today.
It has only been used 5 times, and none of them were over 500 degrees. Today was the hottest use @ 500 degrees searing a couple of sirloins. Opened up the egg and the upper gasket just fell off. Lower gasket is loose. Call the dealer ? Call the Mothership ?
I have read about a better Nomex gasket. I guess that's the way to go ?

Thanks !
Woody

Comments

• talk to your dealer 1st. if they are stubborn or ignorant call the mothership, where they will always take care of you.
    the new nomex sounds like the newest and easiest way to go.
  • Woody,

I spoke w/Bruce from BGE, and he told me that they'll be shipping some new gasket material which doesn't have any type of adhesive on it--he stated that I should use the 3M Super 77 stuff to get it attached.

I'll let you know how that goes...I've got my #2 LBGE on injured reserve right now because of that same problem, as I also have not done a high temp cook on it yet, just some low-and-slows and some chicken.
  • Sometimes this happens, we have seen a few more reports as of late, however, we are seeing more and more members on the forum which may account for the increased reports.

It sounds like the adhesive has failed.

C&C's advice is right on.

GG
  • Mike,

That is the best news I have heard all day...

Are you getting no adhesive felt or no adhesive Nomex?

Kent
  • Ted
    Ted Posts: 2
    I just posted with the exact same problem only it was only my third cook. Oh well!
  • Ted,

It's always nice to be on the side of 'this hasn't happened to me' but some of us are just lucky.

I have had 6 adhesive/gasket failures. My first cook on my large, my first cook on my medium. No failures on my small or mini so far. I use the mini a lot, large next and medium/small the least of all.

Follow the advice above given by Cookn&Climbn.

GG
  • Woody69
    Thanks for the info. It looks like I should have done a search first.....looks like I'm not alone.
  • My gasket fell off after the third use, and the dealer replaced it. Clean the area with Acetone, then spray 777 adhesive, let it dry and apply new gasket. Mine is working just fine after many uses.
  • Kent,

I'll let you guys know after it arrives...I spoke w/Bruce for just a few minutes on Friday afternoon late, so I'm sure that they'll be sending the new stuff. If not, that's OK too because the felt (when adhering properly) has done well for me for almost a year on my first egg.
  • Mike,

Once I began separating the gasket failure from adheshive failure and gasket material failure, I began to really wonder if it didn't matter a whole lot between felt and Nomex.

I would think Nomex would hold up better under a flashback or the unlikely event of dropping a piece of burning lump on the gasket.

In long hot burns if the adhesive fails it really not all that important what material the gasket is, unless there is a possibility the Nomex might protect the adhesive some how.

It will be interesting to see what you receive.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Kent
  • Woody69
    I have to agree with you on the gasket vs adhesive failure. I believe mine was an adhesive failure, or an improper application, but if there is also a better gasket availabe, that's what I want.

Again....thanks all for the info.

Woody