Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crazy winds in Ohio

Options
dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We got hammered from Ike remnants yesterday. All kinds of folks without power and trees down all over the place in the Dayton/Cincinnati areas (about 3/4 million I heard on the radio).

Nothing like down near the coast but folks around here have never seen anything like it. They are talking several days for all the power to come back on. We fortunately escaped without damage to our house but some neihbors lost siding/roof vents/shutters/shingles and of course trees.

Our power just came back on in our neihborhood but the refridgerator stuff was already gone. 67 degrees per the thermapen.

As apoptolectic as folks around here are over this it sure pales in comparason to our friends in Texas.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    no matter how bad we have it it is always good to remember there is someone worse off. it is hard sometimes. To bad on the frig stuff but glad you are all OK. Julie
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Yeah, the winds arrived here in Mercer about 4:00 and hung around till about midnight. We never lost power at our house, but people all over the area did and there are plenty of trees and limbs down. There was more severe damage in the counties south of us toward Pittsburgh. I kept poking my nose outside during breaks in the football game and couldn't believe the gusts we were getting.
  • emilluca
    Options
    We had wind gust to 65 miles per hour. Indy had the first motorcycle race and they called it off early because of the wind and rain.
    I did rib briskets on my large. 10lbs worth and could not get the egg above 250. Had the daisy wheel off and the cover on the bottom open full. The wind was coming toward the back of the egg hard enough it spun the umbrella off the porch.
    That worked out OK because of low and slow but did not get the temp up for a sauce so I left it off still tasted good.
    By the way the Rib Briskets were only 99 cents a lb a real barkin and as far as I am concerned more flavor then the st. louis part.
    E
  • my electric is still out. i've moved into the rv and the generator is running the house fridge and the rv fridge. i'm cooking for all the neighbors on the eggs :woohoo:
    i've heard it might be till friday for the power :blink:
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    We just got our power back tonight about 6:00 pm. Never seen so much wide spread destruction in my years....so many people without power including the elderly and no supplies available like ice, water, etc. I really feel for the ones that have it worse than we do. Hopefully the power will be back for everyone soon!
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    Sounds like camping at home!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    We just had a run on Milk, Bread, Water and Toilet Paper.

Granted the storm came nowhere near us, but folks around here will find any excuse to stock up.. :woohoo:

Glad everyone is OK..

PS it's in the truck..
  • Dischman
    Options
    Here in Columbus Ohio we had wind gusts up to 75 mph and during the high winds I grilled out on my lg. BGE for a party of my co-workers. I grilled for about 4 hours cooking up brats, hamburgers, and wings. The BGE worked great and everyone had a great time and great food, even though we ate by candlelight because of no electricity until just after the last guest left. I have cooked in rain, snow, and now a hurricane and I will never cook on anything other than a BGE.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    So ya say LOL.

I remember those NC days.....there another storm brewing? Folks up here are amazed when I tell them we had more hurricane days than snow days. Now they got just a little taste of why.

Generators, batteries, and ice. Still all gone.

Lots of folks still without power. Folks crying on the non stop whinning on the radio about not having curling irons.

I talked to Ann today as Chubby was not in. They have no end in sight for their outage.

I count my one day as a blessing. I needed to clean out the fridge anyway. Spoiled food made a good excuse :whistle:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    It really is. It is stuck in the back door, driver side.

Nope the Atlantic is quiet, but you know folks here. Mention Hurricane or Snow and the grocery shelves empty out.

I swear Food Lion pays the local news to say Snow at least once or twice during the winter so they get their stock rotated.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Well that was fun....NOT! I'm finally back with power since Sunday 9/14. My only loss was some food because we and the neighbors had so much we couldn't eat it all. We had 3 eggs and a gasser going every evening.

We spent 30 minutes chainsawing, hauling debris, etc., and then 30 minutes eating and drinking beer until we couldn't do the work part anymore.

Got me considering a generator now. At least I could have kept the fridge/freezer running as well as a few lights, and sent an extension cord over to the neighbors. Might ask them if they want to split one.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    At work ECMO baby strikes fear into the hearts of the blood transfusion folks (not my department). One night at shift change a coworker deliberately said "there is a baby in the ECMO room" (a common occurrence as it is the room they do surgical procedures in for NICU babies). The person she mentioned immediately went into panic mode and a complete tizzy.........they still complain about their not listening to what was said .....mind you we did nothing to dissuade them of their delusion :woohoo: :evil: :whistle: