Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke signals

Options
Tripmaker
Tripmaker Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My firts butt turned out tender and easy to pull but lacked any smoke flavor or ring. Following the advice on here I waited till the charcoal quit smoking then added a chunk of hickory before setting up the egg for indirect cooking. I also had 2 more chunks mixed in with the lumps of charcoal. How much wood do you guys use?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I put about 10 big chunks in plus a few smaller ones, the smaller ones smoke quickly & the bigger ones go for hours, you'll get much more flavor & ring this way - you should see smoke huff'n out of the top for a quite a few hours after putting the butt on
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I think Zippy is probably right about your cook...of course "chunk" is not a real precise measurement. ;)

For any low and slow, I will normally put in at least 6 fist size chunks of wood. Lacking smoke flavor in BBQ is a bummer, the smoke ring is secondary, or even optional as long as the flavor is what you're looking for. Good luck on the next one!!
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    Yep sounds like I didn't put in enough wood chunks.