Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to build or not to build a tableTable

Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife wants to buy me a table for my Egg but I said no. I thought they were two expensive, 465 for a large table and it doesn't look anywhere as nice as the ones I see on the Forum so I told her that I could build one. (I have all of the tools but not sure it would look as good as what I have seen on the forum). Did I make the right decision.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    It depends,do you know how to work all the tools? :lol: Just kidding man,at least if you build your own,you can customize it to suite your needs and/or space :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It's not that hard and is considerably less expensive to make you own. And in my opinion a little more personally fulfilling, but I am one of the "do-it-yourself" guys.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I built a table for my large from the BGE site for only $40 bucks.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Good man say'n no to needless spending, it is indeed more fun & a lot cheaper to build your own - for probably less than 1/3 of the money that would be spent on a pre-made table, you can build a better one
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • I just built my table last weekend in about 5 hours, and roughly $80. It isn't fancy like many I have seen on the forum, but it is at least as fancy as the one I saw in the showroom and much heavier duty. I bought the egg with no nest though and needed it to be mobile so I did it in a big hurry. I saved enough money by doing it myself that I could buy new lumber and build a second and still be under 465.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    or by a mini :whistle: to sit on the top of the table ;)
  • It took my wife 3 days to start talking to me as it was when I bough the LG. I should probably hold off on getting the mini. :huh:
  • If you like to make stuff or you were looking for an excuse to make stuff the table is a great project!

I made the basic table with wheels and have been modifying and adding to it ever since! The original table, made out of mahogany with stone and wheels was slightly under $200. (the wood was about $135 as I recall).

Most recently I added holes for a Market umbrella for cooking (comfortably) in foul weather.
  • My thanks to all. I will build a table
  • What kind of wood did you use that you got by for $80? My initial checking I am look at about $200 in materials, even coming from a big box store.
  • OK, I have receipt in hand:

2 4X4X8 @ 5.97 = 11.94
    15 2X4X7 @ 1.89 = 28.35
    1 16X16 paving stone = 2.99
    2 2" swivel casters = 7.96
    2 2" fixed casters = 5.96

I also bought an electric starter & cast iron smoker box that a later returned, for a grand total of 90.61

I got home and didn't end up having enough 2X4's but always have a few laying around so I was able to finish my build. This table is extremely heavy and I plan to get 1 of those stainless shower bars and anchor it into the 4X4 so I can lift it over the gap from my garage to the driveway.

I notched the 4X4s so the 2X4s would seat in them for extra support. All I knew was that the egg is very heavy. Having seen so many awesome tables in the forum lately I wish I would have taken more time and made it a little prettier. And I definitely undersized my wheels. It is pretty hard to push.

IMG_0867.jpg