Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE NY Cheesecake!

Options
Central IL Egger
Central IL Egger Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a recipe for NY Cheesecake from the forum late last week, and it turned out great. The only thing I think I screwed up was that I cooked it a bit hot. Directions called for 250 and I cooked it around 300. Made the crust a bit dry . . . May need to try another this coming weekend!
Gathering round the table to start the recipe
IMG_0106-2.jpg
Pre-Cook
IMG_0109-1.jpg
The smells are attracting onlookers
IMG_0114-1.jpg
Nice Slice!
IMG_0119.jpg

Comments

• ILL--EGGER
    Options
    I was able to "taste test" the cheesecake and give it two thumbs up. Only thing missing was cherry topping (which we'll have next time) and more people to help finish eatting it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    cute! Cheesey smiles for Dad's cheese cake!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Oh, my achin' arteries, that'sa wonnaful!! BTW, if you ever tire of the usual, graham cracker crusts, making them from, crumbled, zwieback toasts is a great alternative!~~
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    You know you have to post the recipe!!!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Hey Central, contragtulations, it turned out perfect, it doesn't look like you cooked it too hot, to the contrary
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • One thing you might consider is to put the cake in a water bath before placing in the egg. This allows the cheesecake to cook evenly so when it cools off the middle part of the cake doesn't sink in. One thing that helped me with the cracking on top is to not beat too much air as you are mixing and to have the eggs at room temp before adding. I bake at 350 with the water bath and take the cake out when small brown spots starts appearing on the crust.

Andres
    Zuni, NM
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    looks good to me and very thick...
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    DatilpepperBBQ wrote:
    You know you have to post the recipe!!!

seconded.
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    Thanks to ZippyLip for the recipe:

NY Cheesecake that is very firm if not stiff
    5 packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1.75 cups sugar
    5 whole eggs & 2 extra yolks
    zest of one lemon and one lime
    3 tablespoons of flour
    1 tsp vanilla

Put this in a springform pan, 500 degrees for 12 minutes, then kick it down to 250 for about an hour and a half to two more hours (check intermittently).

Graham Cracker crust, one package (box) of crushed graham crackers & 1.5 sticks of melted butter, press into the form, pour in the batter

NOTE: I did not use the lemon or lime, vanilla, and sugar was 1.5 cups. I also cooked it at about 300.

One question I have is what is the "water bath" that was described a few posts ago??
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    bumping this up for "water bath" info.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    A water bath (or "bain marie") is a cooking technique used for foods that require especially gentle heating, such as custards.

The dish of food to be cooked is placed in a second, larger pan (like a roaster pan) that is partly filled with warm water. The whole thing--the cooking dish plus the "swimming pool" it sits in--then goes into the oven. The water should come up higher than the food line in the dish that holds the food. Serious chefs will sometimes put a couple of chopsticks in the roaster pan underneath the cooking dish to keep the bottom of the cooking dish from touching the roaster pan. The idea is that nothing touches the outside of the cooking dish except for warm water.

Think of how happy, happy, happy your delicate custard will be as it is being gently warmed in a smoooooth Jacuzzi. :)

Has anyone actually used their Egg in this setup? I'd love to see pics or a description.