Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I crazy? Slow cooker to BGE "rack" transition

Options
gwopy
gwopy Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I've had a LBGE for about 3 months now, and Labor Day weekend was the first time I've had the opportunity to make ribs.

Note: Previously, I've only ever cooked ribs in a slow cooker followed by 15min*2 for each side on broil in the oven. The meat literally falls off the bone if the ribs aren't picked up all at once.

So, with the LBGE, I've been going with a full rack of "St. Louis" style ribs for the last two days. I've obsessed with cooking at low temps. So, for these two racks, I've gone to considerable effort to stay below 240 degrees for a 5-7 hour cook.

In any case, I've dried the sh&t out of the two rack despite applying excessive amounts of my (HEATED) homemade BBQ sauce to the rack every hour.

I test the rack for "doneness" by trying to roll it up with some tongs and seeing if it splits along a rib.

I'm guessing that slow cooking in liquid allows for a more consistent overall cook that disintegrates the tendons and fat that hold the ribs together.

Anyway, my question is "what are my markers/indication points/certainties that my ribs are done" on the LBGE"?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Ribs done in a smoker will be drier than from a slow cooker. In my book "Falling off the bone" isnt a good thing.
    4-5 hours at 250 with or without foil should make for some very good ribs on the egg.
  • gwopy
    Options
    ...what I expected.

Should I cook at a higher temp?
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    This is the WAY I like to cook mine.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You will find that most of us recommend 3-1-1 method for cooking ribs.

3 hours indirect in the smoke.

1 hour in foil

Up to 1 hour back in the smoke. Sauce applied during this time.

This is dome at 250 dome...

The last hour can be direct or indirect. Ribs are done when you can pierce then with a toothpick and the tooth pick comes out with any effort. Alternately You can pick them up perpendicular to the bone with tongs and they should been 90 degrees.

Fall off the bone is over cooked. They should never be dry.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    After about 3 hours you should spritz them to keep moisture on them and some diluted BBQ sauce every 30-45 minutes.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=503857&catid=1
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Did you pull the membrane?

Walt
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    You got mail.

allen
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I've done them 3-1-1 usually. Yesterday I went with a rock solid 250 for 5 1/2 hours - no foil, spritzing every hour with cranapple juice and a drip pan with watered down Apple Cider Vinegar. I did this becuase I didn't particularly care for how "well done" my previous 3-1-1 results were...not that they had been dry by any means, just too falling off the bone. Yesterday's ribs were "tear off the bone" with plenty of juciness to the meat - my best yet for sure.

I also find that some rubs will dry out a rack more than others. My best results yesterday were with JH Pecan.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    I did three racks of St Louis Ribs yesterday for a friend and workmate. He had been an executive chef with a large corp., upscale retirement village, for 15 years, plus his resume includes some other upscale restuarants. Quit so that he could spend more time with his growing up kids. I did the ribs at 220 for five hours, and, they came out super. Thought it was interesting that a pro would ask someone to do this. I bring in stuff at work from the Egg, and, he things they are super. Tells you something about the Egg, not my expertise. Gordon
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Ribs are not an easy cook but can be perfected with practice. I cook at 250 dome temp, indirect for 3 hours then wrap in foil for another 2 hours. A good way to tell id there done is to pick them up in the middle of the rack. They should droop down forming a U when they are done.
  • gwopy
    Options
    I need constants in my life...
  • gwopy
    Options
    Didn't pull the membrane. Probably would've been a good idea. Ribs were universally raved, but I wasn't expecting the state they were in. Just used to slow cooker ribs.

Anyway, thanks everyone!